Newbie Training Seminar

Request new features or present your ideas.
seana11
Tyrant

Newbie Training Seminar

Post by seana11 »

There were a couple newbies on the server tonight, and I was surprised at how much they bled/didn't know. While many of our new players have come from trem, an increasing number of players are coming from the outside as our profile increases. This is a problem since they have never played before, and many don't bother reading anything on how to play (I always read the wiki or whatnot before playing a game, but many others don't, and the wiki is fairly barren of tips on how to play). There are two solutions to this problem, one short term and one long term.

1. Host monthly newbie training sessions on NA1. Procedure should be as follows:
    • Echo a message on everyone's screen announcing the session

• Remove all bots from the server

• Speclock all players except the instructors

• Change the map to something suitable

• Begin instruction

• At various points, place players on teams.

• End instruction

• Un-specklock

• Add bots back

• Echo a message to everyone's screen saying that the session is now over

Topics should include etiquette, structures, playing aliens, and playing humans.

1. Have a series of missions designed to familiarize players with the game.

Kynes

Re: Newbie Training Seminar

Post by Kynes »

I definitely agree that we need a gentler way to introduce new players to the game. However, I think most newbs would only end up in a session like this by chance, and they'd likely quit out of boredom/confusion before learning much.
I think an instructional demo (or several) accessible from the main menu might be a more viable alternative. It would only need to be made once, it would be accessible at any time, and it wouldn't be dependent on a specific server or group of players being available.
Video tutorials are a lot nicer than demos, but unless we can play them in the client, or launch the webpage from the client, people might be less likely to use them.

A newbie training server would be ideal, but I don't think we have the resources to really make that happen right now.

Amazonian1515
Mantis

Post by Amazonian1515 »

Is it possible to create custom maps, and use bots with pre-made messages as a kind of tutorial or even an offline campaign.

Khaoz
Graphic Designer

Post by Khaoz »

Amazonian1515 wrote:

Is it possible to create custom maps, and use bots with pre-made messages as a kind of tutorial or even an offline campaign.

I was thinking of something like this in the future. Kind of like UrT's tutorial mode at the beginning of the game.

Anomalous
Programmer

Post by Anomalous »

Amazonian1515 wrote:

We want something like Wraths, really…

Debian and Ubuntu packages (squeeze, wheezy, sid; 12.04, 12.10, 13.04) may work on derivatives

OFFEND! … no, that's not right… ATTACK!

Forty-Two
Mantis

Post by Forty-Two »

Anomalous wrote:

Yes. :D

0 = 0
Quod erat demonstrandum.

ViruS
Granger

Post by ViruS »

Anomalous wrote:

That's what NA1 is like right now, only that it has unlagged (which doesnt work for me) and has more bots which actually come out of the base.

ImageImageYou[TubeImage

Ishq
Project Head

Post by Ishq »

We plan to have both. An offline tutorial mode as well as a friendly newbie server where new players can learn the ropes without being harassed by the veteran players.

ViruS
Granger

Post by ViruS »

Ishq wrote:

without being harassed by the veteran players.

:/
Well its not like i harass newbies anyway. "Closest" probably saying things like 'silly'

ImageImageYou[TubeImage

Anomalous
Programmer

Post by Anomalous »

ViruS wrote:

That's what NA1 is like right now, only that it has unlagged (which doesnt work for me) and has more bots which actually come out of the base.

Well… sort of. We do have a ‘training’ branch; I'll get that up and running (again) with a smaller rotation. If anybody wants to help to set up training situations…

Debian and Ubuntu packages (squeeze, wheezy, sid; 12.04, 12.10, 13.04) may work on derivatives

OFFEND! … no, that's not right… ATTACK!