Overmind

Models and textures for players, weapons and buildables.
Dandoombuggy
Modeler

Re: OM Model

Post by Dandoombuggy »

Great work so far Osiris, looking forward to seeing how this translates to low poly.

Qrntz
Dragoon

Post by Qrntz »

Very impressive!

kharnov
Granger
Clan: GT

Post by kharnov »

That mouth is going to be in my nightmares.

Ishq
Project Head

Post by Ishq »

Yeah, nice job Osiris. I think the mesh is amazing and is good enough to be called a final mesh. You can begin retopo.

That being said, I think that the textures need more work. For instance, I think some more color variation on the model will work wonders on it. The veins for instance, could be a darker shade of red and the general red could use splashes of different colors. I would also recommend making the model less uniform in terms of color. Add in some details: Perhaps the green blobs vary in color slightly, one side has a "scar-ish" mark. Such details will really make your model shine.

Osiris
Modeler

Post by Osiris »

Thanks, yeah I know the texture seems kinda....bland to me right now. Any crits or tips are welcome by the way :) always looking to improve.

Ishq its weird, the brain is a mix of like 3 colors and the viens are kinda a lighter pink, i dunno why this render didnt really show the color differences to much. I used a BPR render inside zbrush. I really wanted to do something different with the body because that dark blueish color was way bland so I added some light areas and some green, but i dunno if that is really working for it.

Anomalous
Programmer

Post by Anomalous »

Mottled effect, muted?

Debian and Ubuntu packages (squeeze, wheezy, sid; 12.04, 12.10, 13.04) may work on derivatives

OFFEND! … no, that's not right… ATTACK!

Osiris
Modeler

Post by Osiris »

I tweeked it a little bit, but i just screen capped it for now, the render kept washing out detail, I don't have much experience rendering in Zbrush.

soooo as far as retopping goes, does anyone have any tips as far as retopping a completely A-symmetrical model? more than be patient and take my time

Dandoombuggy
Modeler

Post by Dandoombuggy »

I think it depends on how you want it animated.

I don't think the topology should be constructed differently just because it has some asymmetric detailing. For the entire model you could very easily build the polys over half and mirror it followed by adjusting the new vertices to the asymmetric pose.

However if you were planning on using those green brainy bits as more than just a basic texture, for example if you were planning the brain being animated in a pulsing fashion, I'd suggest building loops from the center of each green glob and expand outward from each. The entire top half would have completely asymmetric topology and a higher poly count but I think it would result in some pretty sweet animations. The rest of it looks like it can be built and mirrored, like I first mentioned.

The entire top half of its head could be created as a separate object so you don't have to worry about where the edges meet up with the lower half. I think that could work well for unwrapping too.

Hope that helps at all and I hope I'm making sense.. its 3.30 in the morning :S

Osiris
Modeler

Post by Osiris »

yeah that helps a ton man :)

I do believe that we wanted things pulsing in the brain, and maybe the eyes blinking. I just see a lot of issues with making the geo flow between the green parts.

3:30 am in the morning? where are you at?

Dandoombuggy
Modeler

Post by Dandoombuggy »

Southampton, Hampshire... England :P UK..