If you have trouble registering or do not receive a verification e-mail, please ask for help in chat.

Lets discuss Tyrant

Get support for Unvanquished.
GORE
Dretch

Lets discuss Tyrant

Postby GORE » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:25 am UTC

In what situation is Tyrant best suited? With that huge hitbox I can't see why I should pick that class ever. Attack speed is slow, he cant jump, cant flee...
illwieckz
Project Head

Re: Lets discuss Tyrant

Postby illwieckz » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:11 am UTC

It is powerful. By the way his power is made almost unusable given player have to aim very precisely, and it's very easy to miss the shot. Sometime I think about a Tyrant with a kind of damage “spread“: if you were a real tyrant with an human in front of you, you would not have to aim precisely to hit it badly, just slash… Viech also said we can completely re-imagine its kind of attack, see this thread.
This comment is licensed under cc ​​by 4 and antecedent.
GORE
Dretch

Postby GORE » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:46 pm UTC

Oh I completely forgot about that thread (well it's been two years since it was active). I thought it was good to mention this unit again since the development seems to have a good pace now. :) kharnov pointing out good points already so I have nothing to add atm.

I agree that it is silly to have to aim precisely when the claws are meant to slash and swing.

Hope to see a fix soon. I think he would be really great as a defense unit when humans have reached the alien base.
GORE
Dretch

Postby GORE » Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:18 pm UTC

Two years have passed. :thumbdown:
GORE
Dretch

Postby GORE » Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:31 pm UTC

Four years have passed and still zero changes to this unit. I guess I'll come back again in a couple years
Gireen
Graphic Designer

Postby Gireen » Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:07 pm UTC

Its oblivious that's cause the tyrant is perfect as he is. Stop shaming him ! :bsuit: :granger:

Whats the easiest change to make tyrants more interesting?
fear ma engrish :granger:
freem
Marauder

Postby freem » Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:54 pm UTC

The easiest is to increase it's mass (nearly double) and make jump as high as a granger. This makes the rant able to jump over turrets, and to destroy nodes in few jumps, without even trying to hit them. That's not a huge change, but I think it's a start (I tried that locally, and yes, it does change stuff. Also made bots less blocked by barricades as a nice effect).

I think increasing it's health and regen a bit would not be stupid ideas. A bit more health, like, +50hp, and increase regen by 25% because since it's so easy to hit, it should also regen faster to compensate.
Gireen
Graphic Designer

Postby Gireen » Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:54 pm UTC

Making tyrants more agile is maybe the opposite direction, but giving them more health to make them tankier sounds good.
fear ma engrish :granger:
freem
Marauder

Postby freem » Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:58 am UTC

I doubt few hp will change much, you will still not be able to flee or to deal enough damages to explain for the cost of tyrants anyway.
As a reminder, luci kills adv dragoon in one hit (and likely a tyrant requires 2, plus it's overall easier to score a hit with luci than with rant since it's ranged), it requires 3 hits for a tyrant to kill a bsuit, for the same cost, it's way harder to hit and run faster. Can also jump over turrets which would be in the way, while tyrants can barely pass allied barricades.

As for agility, giving them the ability to "climb" over walls of turrets or drills does not seems that a bad idea to me, it merely gives the feeling their legs are not immobile, they still are clumsy, slow and easy to hit, just a bit harder to prevent passage with drill-trolling.

On IRC Viech also had the idea of giving them an ability to deflect bullets, to the point it could damage people around. THe idea was nice, but is obviously harder to implement than mere changes to config files :)
illwieckz
Project Head

Postby illwieckz » Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:58 am UTC

freem wrote:As for agility, giving them the ability to "climb" over walls of turrets or drills does not seems that a bad idea to me

I would look more for turrets and drills to not survive that long to a tyrant, like: you're blocked? click hit with an average aim with rage, instant kill of the buildable and explosion! It's a Tyrant after all. A luci can kill alien defenses in one hit.
This comment is licensed under cc ​​by 4 and antecedent.

Return to “Troubleshooting”