Updated installer needs testing

Talk about anything related to Unvanquished.
danmal

Updated installer needs testing

Post by danmal »

I've made some modifications to the installer and need some feedback. Windows installer and the Mac installer are available. Fixes include

• Removed progress window that obscured the download window

• Added MD5 verification of downloaded files. If a file gets corrupted during download the installer should pick it up

• Number of files to download is now correctly reported

• old vms-VERSION.pk3 are removed from fs_homepath and fs_basepath

I'm totally open to any suggestions or bug reports even if they're only very minor issues. The more feedback I get the less likely a bug will sneak through into alpha 12.

EDIT: Update to OS X installer. Thanks Rhez
EDIT2: OS X has been updated again.
EDIT3: OS X should now work. Thanks Rhez
EDIT4: Fixed problems with permissions + added browse buttons when choosing install location

rhez
Dretch

Re: Updated installer needs testing

Post by rhez »

Hey danmal, my pleasure.
There's a problem: I still can't open the Unvanquished application after installing though. As far as I can tell, I have no execution permission:

Code: Select all

# pwd
/Users/rhez/Documents/Other/Unvanquished/Unvanquished.app/Contents/Resources/Unvanquished
# ls -l
total 12040
-rw-r--r--   1 rhez  staff  1642072 Jan  6 21:35 daemon
-rw-r--r--   1 rhez  staff   720028 Jan  6 21:35 daemonded
-rw-r--r--   1 rhez  staff   719508 Jan  6 21:35 librendererGL.dylib
-rw-r--r--   1 rhez  staff  3076264 Jan  6 21:35 librendererGL3.dylib
drwxr-xr-x  20 rhez  staff      680 Jan 20 15:26 main

Can you please fix this? Many thanks.

_RRRR___H___H_EEEEE_ZZZZZ_
_R___R__H___H_E________Z__
_RRRR___HHHHH_EEEEE___Z___
_R___R__H___H_E______Z____
_R____R_H___H_EEEEE_ZZZZZ_
Now that's what I call a Rhez-olution.
Avatar image by Akele (CC BY-SA)

rhez
Dretch

Post by rhez »

Alrighty! More bugs/things to consider (I know I might have said a couple of these moments ago, but I just want to plot them here just in case):

1. [MINOR] The text in the textbox of Installation Directory does not get fully selected when I press command+a
  2. Let the installer check if you already have certain assets in ~/Library/Application\ Support/Unvanquished/main so that it doesn't have to download the same thing again
  3. In the last step of the installation setup, let there also be a textbox and browse button for the user to indicate where, other than the default directory ./Unvanquished.app/Contents/Resources/Unvanquished/main, they would like the assets to be downloaded to (for example,~/Library/Application\ Support/Unvanquished/main); some other similar approach is also appreciated

_RRRR___H___H_EEEEE_ZZZZZ_
_R___R__H___H_E________Z__
_RRRR___HHHHH_EEEEE___Z___
_R___R__H___H_E______Z____
_R____R_H___H_EEEEE_ZZZZZ_
Now that's what I call a Rhez-olution.
Avatar image by Akele (CC BY-SA)

danmal

Post by danmal »

rhez wrote:

Alrighty! More bugs/things to consider (I know I might have said a couple of these moments ago, but I just want to plot them here just in case):

1. [MINOR] The text in the textbox of Installation Directory does not get fully selected when I press command+a

Can't fix. This is a bug with Bitrock.

rhez wrote:
  1. Let the installer check if you already have certain assets in ~/Library/Application\ Support/Unvanquished/main so that it doesn't have to download the same thing again

On the todo list

rhez wrote:
  1. In the last step of the installation setup, let there also be a textbox and browse button for the user to indicate where, other than the default directory ./Unvanquished.app/Contents/Resources/Unvanquished/main, they would like the assets to be downloaded to (for example,~/Library/Application\ Support/Unvanquished/main); some other similar approach is also appreciated

Won't add. This isn't necessary for 99% of users and if a user wants to do this it can be done manually.