If you have trouble registering or do not receive a verification e-mail, please ask for help in chat.

Fixing the tyrant

Request new features or present your ideas.
Lecavalier~
Dretch
Clan: Pk, Formerly DSPro

Re: Fixing the tyrant

Postby Lecavalier~ » Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:15 pm UTC

I think what the tyrant needs is a reason for people to want to go rant in the first place beyond a bit more attack and HP. Right now there isn't one. It could be an attack, an ability, a movement, or anything as long as it both useful and fun.

One idea I had was a head-butting attack (inspired by elephants) You would charge it and it would deal massive damage based on how much it was charged. Very effective at base killing and, if you're good, helpful with bsuits and other humans. There's really endless possibilities depending how crazy you want to get. anything from holding humans in place (pinning them down), to acid/poison sprays, to healing. The hardest part would be coming to a consensus.

Edit: didn't realize this was an old thread, have there been any changes since it was made?
Viech
Project Head

Postby Viech » Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:19 pm UTC

Lecavalier~ wrote:Edit: didn't realize this was an old thread, have there been any changes since it was made?

The Tyrant should still be the same as three months ago.
Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction
GORE
Dretch

Postby GORE » Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:23 pm UTC

Suggestion; Give him an aura that gives nearby aliens extra dmg. Make him explode when killed and corpse release poisonous gas.
illwieckz
Project Head

Postby illwieckz » Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:49 pm UTC

@Gireen would you know how to make the tyrant having a large splash damage with primary attack so we can investigate if that improves the tyrant play or not? The idea is the the tyrant would require the average aim of the shotgun, not the very precise aim of the mass driver.
This comment is licensed under cc ​​by 4 and antecedent.
Gireen
Graphic Designer

Postby Gireen » Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:52 pm UTC

Current settings are

Code: Select all

clawDmg 100
clawRange 100.0
clawWidth 14.0
clawHeight 20.0

We could increase the clawWidth and Height. And maybe reducing clawDmg. That way its easier to hit but doesnt becomes op for pros.
fear ma engrish :granger:
illwieckz
Project Head

Postby illwieckz » Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:40 am UTC

Ah yes, I now remember a talk about that on IRC:

2021-03-20 18:37:53 +0100 <freem_> Gireen_: do you think you could try to put tyrant's clawHeight at 40 on experimental server?
2021-03-20 18:38:22 +0100 <illwieckz> I was going to ask the same for Gireen experimental server and clawHeight 40

2021-03-20 18:42:12 +0100 <illwieckz> clawHeight 30 is probably enough

2021-03-20 18:45:10 +0100 <illwieckz> 40 is a good perceptual value

The idea was to only modify the clawHeight, meaning the player would still have to aim on the horizontal plane, but less on the vertical plane. It also fits the design of the model: a swipe is expected to have effect on a large vertical range, and then not doing it break the immersion. On my end the value of 40 was selected as being large enough in the vertical dimension to give the related feeling of a beast that only requires to aim on the horizontal plane, while still being above usual creeps like acid tubes on the floor to not kill them by mistake when aiming at standing human bodies.
illwieckz
Project Head

Postby illwieckz » Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:47 am UTC

Also it would help to destroy turrets by looking a bit down without looking at tyrant's feet. Especially since the beast has 8 eyes so it does not make sense for the player to have to put everything else outside of his point of view by focusing on the floor to attack a turret such a beast should not even have to aim at.

15 years after Tremulous I'm still missing turrets when playing tyrants because I can't prevent my mind to think I'm playing a huge beast, which is true in fact.
freem
Marauder

Postby freem » Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:03 am UTC

Gireen wrote:Current settings are

Code: Select all

clawDmg 100
clawRange 100.0
clawWidth 14.0
clawHeight 20.0

We could increase the clawWidth and Height. And maybe reducing clawDmg. That way its easier to hit but doesnt becomes op for pros.

So that it would be even harder to kill with it, while humans can still kill rants in 2 hits and adv goons in 1, with their _ranged_ weapons? Tyrants DpS is not really that awesome... Tyrants need multiple hits to kill a medium armour, while luci kills an adv goon in 1 hit.
Sure, they're not same teams: aliens have useless defenses, and must go melee, making scoring a kill or a destruction hard, while humans can do all that safely from afar, and faster
Nanaa

Postby Nanaa » Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:03 pm UTC

Here's a suggestion on how the hitboxes could look like.
Yellow hitbox is pointed at crosshair. Blue one moves vertically slightly up and down when aiming at ceiling/floor (to be able to hit enemies on top of head and at feet easily).

The blue hitbox is basically how melee works in Savage XR:
freem
Marauder

Postby freem » Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:48 pm UTC

Nanaa wrote:The blue hitbox is basically how melee works in Savage XR:

From what I understand, in unv, that's the same. And this is what feels so wrong, for ranged fighters: the fact BBoxes don't match at all the models. Maybe the BBoxes are too generous, though.

Sadly, it is not currently possible to have "composite" (multiple) BBox per model, but I think this would be a very big improvement.

Return to “Ideas & Suggestions”