Resources

Request new features or present your ideas.
Ishq
Project Head

Re: Resources

Post by Ishq »

Ah. In that case, I feel a resource map is cool, though unecessarily complex without proper tools. Further, as for the end game, I was guessing without a steady flow of income, teams would not be able to upgrade meaning they'd be forced to attack with their lowest classes, which would mean slow or no progress chipping away defenses.

@Viech: That is essentially what I was suggesting. Guess I got the attribution wrong.

norfenstein
Mantis

Post by norfenstein »

I'm going to make a list of assertions about build points in an attempt to summarize and finalize the discussion. There are still some open questions, but hopefully at this point everything else is uncontroversial enough to start with. If anyone disagrees, speak up now.

1. Build points are a resource for building structures.

2. Each team has its own supply of build points that it can spend to create structures. The map determines what starting amount each team begins with.

3. Build points may be fully reclaimed by deconstructing a structure. Structures destroyed in any other way return no build points.

1. How exactly should desconsturction work?

4. There is a finite, map-wide pool of build points available for both teams to extract into their supply. The map determines the size of this pool.

5. Build points are extracted from the global pool via a structure (which I'm going to re-dub "build point extractor" (BPE) as that's more accurate and specific than "resource generating structure") that may be built like any other structure for a build point cost.

6. Each BPE extracts one build point from the global pool at a regular, fixed interval, until the global pool is depleted.

1. How fast should BPEs normally extract build points?

7. BPEs built too close to each other (irrespective of which team owns them) extract build points at a slower rate

1. What algorithm should this proximity limit use?

8. The UI should convey: the total build points available from the map, the total amount acquired by your team, your team's current total extraction rate, and your team's current number of BPEs. Individual BPEs should show (to builders at least) their own extraction rate, and point to which other BPEs are close enough to degrade their extraction rate.

Cadynum

Post by Cadynum »

norfenstein wrote:
  1. Build points may be fully reclaimed by deconstructing a structure. Structures destroyed in any other way return no build points.

1. How exactly should desconsturction work?

I am a bit concerned about this one. I propose to return build points proportional to how much health the structure has. This avoids certain unwanted scenarios like deconstruction at the "last second" to avoid losing the build points.
Another idea could be to give the new structure health proportional to the old one, but this becomes increasingly complex when you do not replace structures 1-1.

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

Cadynum wrote:

I am a bit concerned about this one. I propose to return build points proportional to how much health the structure has. This avoids certain unwanted scenarios like deconstruction at the "last second" to avoid losing the build points.

I agree with you and like your solution but we shouldn't take the discussion on that matter further in this thread. The fact that build points can be reclaimed under some circumstances might still be relevant to the resources discussion, the precise nature of this feature probably isn't. I wouldn't normally interfer with a discussion that is only slightly off-topic but this thread is already very complex and hard to read (and I enlisted to sum it up :rolleyes: ).

norfenstein wrote:
  • How exactly should desconsturction work?

I propose to merge this question into How should buildings be constructed or make a new thread for it.

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

norfenstein
Mantis

Post by norfenstein »

Viech wrote:

I agree with you and like your solution but we shouldn't take the discussion on that matter further in this thread. The fact that build points can be reclaimed under some circumstances might still be relevant to the resources discussion, the precise nature of this feature probably isn't. I propose to merge this question into How should buildings be constructed or make a new thread for it.

Reclaimed in full, was my point of contention, as I don't like the idea of permanently penalizing players for wanting to move or replace a structure. As long as that's not still being debated I agree we can define the details in another thread.

Theyain
Mantis

Post by Theyain »

norfenstein wrote:

Reclaimed in full, was my point of contention, as I don't like the idea of permanently penalizing players for wanting to move or replace a structure. As long as that's not still being debated I agree we can define the details in another thread.

I really should comment, but what might be best is both a health and time based situation. How health would work is how Cadynum describes it, time would be where if the build is old it has an effect on how much BP you get back.