Balance changes and ideas.

Request new features or present your ideas.
PaN61

Re: Balance changes and ideas.

Post by PaN61 »

danmal wrote:

Aussie Assault hasn't been up for all that long after all.

Well, AussieAssault has been up for years (A couple of years I think). And has also been up since the 1st alpha of Unvanquished.

danmal wrote:

3) Loss of crouch is more then made up with the introduction of dodge + high stamina for humans. Dodge is a lot more skillful then crouching and I can't see much of a reason to re-introduce crouch. If humans suck too much at early stages there's other things we can do before re-introducing crouch.

I never really liked the GPP/Unvanquished dodge. It was proven more annoying than (if at all) useful in my case, so I disabled it. Besides, I think strafing is more useful in terms of dodging aliens but that's just personal preference. The stamina is okay, I haven't found a problem with it. I still don't know about dodge being more useful than the 1.1 dodge (including the crouch), but I will see what happens.

danmal

Post by danmal »

PaN61 wrote:

Well, AussieAssault has been up for years (I think 6 years in total now). And has also been up since the 1st alpha of Unvanquished.

It certainly has not. It's closer to 2 years old (Cheese started AA somewhere around 2010). Alpha 1 didn't get played much before the server was taken down. The Australian community is only now starting to get acquainted with Unvanquished which is why we're seeing so much feedback.

PaN61 wrote:

I never really liked the GPP/Unvanquished dodge. It was proven more annoying than (if at all) useful in my case, so I disabled it. Besides, I think strafing is more useful in terms of dodging aliens but that's just personal preference. The stamina is okay, I haven't found a problem with it. I still don't know about dodge being more useful than the 1.1 dodge (including the crouch), but I will see what happens.

Dodge takes some getting used to but it's really good. I was pretty skeptical about dodge due to it's high stamina usage compared to jump/sprint but dodging creates so much space it's amazing. It's made S1 a lot more balanced imo. Of course I'm not very good at Unvanquished yet so I could be wrong.

PaN61

Post by PaN61 »

danmal wrote:

It certainly has not. It's closer to 2 years old (Cheese started AA somewhere around 2010). Alpha 1 didn't get played much before the server was taken down. The Australian community is only now starting to get acquainted with Unvanquished which is why we're seeing so much feedback.

I edited the post above before you posted when I was informed of the duration of AussieAssault. I have only played for 2 years. But I was pretty sure that I saw the list before that time.

Khaoz
Graphic Designer

Post by Khaoz »

danmal wrote:

Dodge takes some getting used to but it's really good. I was pretty skeptical about dodge due to it's high stamina usage compared to jump/sprint but dodging creates so much space it's amazing. It's made S1 a lot more balanced imo. Of course I'm not very good at Unvanquished yet so I could be wrong.

Yea Aussie Assault was started late June 2009 and before that everyone played Tremwars.

I played for a little bit on the GPP 1.2 on American servers as most of them where Unlagged.
I stopped due to the "OMG You're only winning cos you have high ping and it's unlagged it's bs" comments that I'd see on occasion.
Apparently having high ping on an unlagged server was an advantage.

I don't tend to use the dodge too much, I like to use the stamina strafe jumping (thanks to the q3 physics) you can get quiet a lot of speed with the amount of stamina you're given.

ViruS
Granger

Post by ViruS »

Khaoz wrote:

[1]Yea Aussie Assault was started late June 2009 and before that everyone played Tremwars.

[2]I stopped due to the "OMG You're only winning cos you have high ping and it's unlagged it's bs" comments that I'd see on occasion.
Apparently having high ping on an unlagged server was an advantage.

[3]I don't tend to use the dodge too much, I like to use the stamina strafe jumping (thanks to the q3 physics) you can get quiet a lot of speed with the amount of stamina you're given.

[1] When i started playing trem, game arena was the most common aussie server, then kiwi arena came in and stole a very tiny portion of players. At that time, i had no idea wth ping was so i actually spent a lot of my time on a server named 'bananas', hosted by a friendl of my brother in the US or something like that...
Then netwars and tremwars came up, i kinda stopped trem for a year since i no longer had my awsome windows ME and i was without a computer...

[2]I've never heared that except from chuck.
Unlagged i say is even as long as the prediction is exact.
People think you can kill people through walls as an advantage, but really you have a longer reaction time, often as soon as i see a goon in atcs hallway, i'm probably already dead on the server. Hence i say is a disadvantage, unlagged's never perfect either.
I took nux's theory of aiming behind[or ahead, in this case for euro servers from my position] and tried utilising that knowedge, but every now and then my brain says 'you have to aim at the visual model, not predict' hence i suck at lagged as well.
In the end, i say unlagged is an advantage for higher pingers to have a close-to even match with other players, but it can never present a perfect match.

[3]U serious? I think its bull. From two jumps, using the same amount of stamina i can gain more speed than the dodge, and not to mention [already mentioned] the 'stun time' after a dodge. Basically you slow down, u cant move as fast for a few hundred miliseconds, and you can't jump. Tremulous was fun to me because of its rapid-manoeuvres, when dodge simply nudges you and stuns you.

ImageImageYou[TubeImage

Khaoz
Graphic Designer

Post by Khaoz »

ViruS wrote:

[3]U serious? I think its bull. From two jumps, using the same amount of stamina i can gain more speed than the dodge, and not to mention [already mentioned] the 'stun time' after a dodge. Basically you slow down, u cant move as fast for a few hundred miliseconds, and you can't jump. Tremulous was fun to me because of its rapid-manoeuvres, when dodge simply nudges you and stuns you.

I don't think you read my post properly. Nowhere did I say dodge-jump is good.
Dodge jump =/= Strafe Jump.

DeathByMe

Post by DeathByMe »

Kreative wrote:

Mara's don't have wall climb, and what's with the rant saying the devs are doing nothing lol. I'm not even going to respond to that, if you believe that, then, oh well. :rolleyes:

Anyways, here's an idea, I wouldn't mind the 375 hp, but since you guys say the Lucifer is so overpowering, (which I still am going to try to argue it's not), why don't we give Tyrant trample a less overpowering buff. When a Tyrant charges, it takes less damage, maybe 40% less. Never been good at math, so this is probably wrong, but that would make a fully charged Lucifer do 150 damage instead of 250 while charging, and then the rant could just finish everyone off with claws or run away while taking minimal damage. (In my opinion this is unneeded, but heh, I'll throw it out there anyways)

;)

Also guys, how much have you really played Unvanquished? And how much against actual "decent" players and not bots lol? The current gameplay hasn't even been fully play tested yet, so it's probably best to discuss gameplay after it has been. But of course, there's nothing wrong with brewing up ideas for the future too!

Ummm, first i would like to state, that i like the way the devs have replied to this thread, its shows real commitment to the community, and secondly, kreative, the rant charge is absolutely amazing idea, instead of the tyrants charge seem like a suicide, seems like a charge into battle, i think this would even out most late, rant, vs lucy gameplay.

the other thing that i would like to say about, is dodge.
Its a really cool feature, but when holding w, the you double tap a/d, it doesnt respond well, try making it so that the dodge techniques can be used while still in consistent motion.

I am happy with this thread, and everyone's imput, and hope that everyone will keep adding to it this coming week, with ideas and problems (if you think their are some)

Edit: i personally don't think your doing nothing.

Ishq
Project Head

Post by Ishq »

Double tap dodge was buggy. That implementation was fixed by Sixthly. It should be much better in our next alpha.

DeathByMe

Post by DeathByMe »

Ok, thanks Ishq.

seana11
Tyrant

Post by seana11 »

DeathByMe wrote:

Ummm, first i would like to state, that i like the way the devs have replied to this thread, its shows real commitment to the community, and secondly, kreative, the rant charge is absolutely amazing idea, instead of the tyrants charge seem like a suicide, seems like a charge into battle, i think this would even out most late, rant, vs lucy gameplay.

the other thing that i would like to say about, is dodge.
Its a really cool feature, but when holding w, the you double tap a/d, it doesnt respond well, try making it so that the dodge techniques can be used while still in consistent motion.

I am happy with this thread, and everyone's imput, and hope that everyone will keep adding to it this coming week, with ideas and problems (if you think their are some)

Edit: i personally don't think your doing nothing.

Yes, but if you had that, then as soon as aliens got s3, everyone would evolve to rants and just charge the human base, and charge out, taking little damage in the process. Then they would go and do it again. SD would be death to humans, because the rants could inflict monstrous damage without taking any.