Human classes mod

Release and discuss things you've made, including mods.
seana11
Tyrant

Human classes mod

Post by seana11 »

For the past few days I've been working on a human classes mod. This is mainly a proof of concept, so I haven't tested the gameplay at all. The ui has been updated, but several errors have no equivlant error menu. It adds 3 classes to the game: the marine, the agent, and the mecha. They can be spawned by typing 'class weapon' in the console, where 'weapon' is the starting weapon for the class. The marine can also be spawned with a ckit. You cannot sell any upgrades that you spawn with.

• Marine
    Availible at s1.
    Costs nothing
    Spawns with the rifle and nothing else.
    Can buy ckit, rifle, shotgun, and psaw
    Can buy larmour, jetpack, and grenade

• Agent
    Availible at s2
    Costs 400
    Spawns with lgun, helmet, and larmour
    Can buy ckit, lgun, md, prifle, and psaw
    Can buy battpack, jetpack, and grenade

• Mecha
    Availible at s3
    Costs 800
    Spawns with chaingun and bsuit
    Can buy ckit, chaingun, prifle, flamer, luci, and psaw
    Can buy grenade

ViruS
Granger

Re: Human classes mod

Post by ViruS »

NewName Proposal: (Not) Team Tremulous

I like the idea, but is there any gain for humans, apart from spawning with upgrades in this mod? No modifications has been made to the aliens right?

Also, I reckon classes above marines should require funds. I haven't checked the code yet, so I just made the random assumption you haven't.

ImageImageYou[TubeImage

killing time
Programmer

Post by killing time »

ViruS wrote:

I was thinking more along the lines of Treem Fortress.

I believe it is not necessary to critique the idea too closely: it is probably intended more as an exercise in familiarization with the codebase than as something playable.

seana11
Tyrant

Post by seana11 »

ViruS wrote:

I like the idea, but is there any gain for humans, apart from spawning with upgrades in this mod? No modifications has been made to the aliens right?

Also, I reckon classes above marines should require funds. I haven't checked the code yet, so I just made the random assumption you haven't.

At the moment, there is no gain, except for spawning with weapons. I do plan to implement several new weapons into the game, though. As for the name, I'm not intending to make it team fortress :P. It's mainly a gameplay exercise to see what the game would be like with these changes.

EDIT:

The ui has been changed to reflect the modifications I have made. Only the stuff you can buy/sell will appear, and classes now appear on the spawn menu. And yes, the agent costs 400 credits, and the mecha 800.

EDIT:

A carbine has been added to the game as a weapon for the marine. This helps fill the niche the lasgun and the chaingun once did.

EDIT:

I made some minor carbine stat changes (reduced price, increased clip side, decreased starting clips), and changed the game version. I'd love to start doing some playtesting on the mod to see how it plays. At the moment I don't really have any hard data to go on.

lamefun
Tyrant

Post by lamefun »

Add beak people who have beaks instead of mouths and can discard them into aliens.

seana11
Tyrant

Post by seana11 »

Ok, so here's a mockup on the feel that I'm aiming for with the classes. I haven't dcided on all of the traits, but I think this is a good start.

The Marine

The defining word of this class should be veteran. This is the grizzled, hardened, nostalgic warrior who's been fighting since as long as he can remember, and a bit before then as well. Think of the engineer, or doomguy. He prefers to use his hands, and works well with machines, but dislikes new technology. He uses ballistic (bullet) weapons because he likes the feel of them. He also likes explosions. Maybe give him something to work with. A C4 bomb could do the trick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipYkuCZ2IYI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Shwd0jkvfc0

The Agent

The defining word of this class should be efficient. This is the almost robotic, cold, clean, killer. Think men in black types. He is precise and efficient with his targets, never taking out more or less than he needs to. His weapons should reflect this by having good precision, and low splash damage. His basekilling weapon should be targetable and have the ability to single out a single buildable (maybe a drone of some sort?). He has ready access to technology and cloaking devices could be part of his arsenal. (Think James Bond).

The Mecha

The defining word of this class should be excessive. This is the huge, slow, heavy, killer exporting tons of lead in your direction. Think the Heavy only robotic. He should be over the top in all areas: loud, slow, overzealous in his taunts, and stupid. He tends to worry about dps more than accuracy and likes damage with lots of splash or lots of firepower. In order to play the human element right, the suit should probably be designed with a window or something so we can see the person inside, and they become less of robots. He is the polar opposite of the agent. His basekilling weapon could probably just be the current grenade.

The suit could be similar to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nO60w-bTcVM

ViruS
Granger

Post by ViruS »

seana11 wrote:

He tends to worry about dps more than accuracy and likes damage with lots of splash or lots of firepower.

OH GWD THAT REMINDS ME OF THAT FKED UP MOD (have no idea which game it came from) - FULL-AUTO SHOT-(GUN)-ROCKET LAUNCHER
-It literally is so inaccurate where you shoot, and 4 rockets come out and they'd spit out at 45 degree angles, It fired 3 shots a second, 4 rockets per shot, and one and a half rockets was enough to kill anyone. It's like the BFG in Q3 with the QUAD, only that you had crap aim and that you'd fire 4 per shot in random directions.

Btw that AMP suit - It kinda reminds me of NS2's battlesuit.

ImageImageYou[TubeImage

seana11
Tyrant

Post by seana11 »

Some opinions on mechanics

Movement

So humans have some movement capabilities, but at the moment they're pretty much in the mode of 'you can sprint around the entire map and still have 50% hp, but if you try to strafe-jump, you lose craploads of stamina for a bit of extra speed.' I think a great game to look at in terms of movement is Urban Terror. It feels very good in that game, especially the sliding (which we unfortunately can't copy without it looking completely obvious that we just cribbed it from them). If you don't know how UrT movement looks, have a look at some random gameplay footage. It's a lot of strafejumping, but it's capped by stamina which regenerates fairly fast while crouched/walking/standing. The main way people move is 'strafe jump some, then walk until I have stamina,' which is nice, because people can move quickly around the map, but they also have to manage their stamina so they don't get caught with no stamina and no movement. You also make a loud breathing sound when you have low stamina, which is nice for finding people who just sprint around the map until they're out of stamina :). I'd really like to do something like this for Uv, because it introduces an amount of strategy into the game, and it also increases the stealth mechanics, which I really like. (Imo, the radar updates have been the best gameplay changes so far, because they increase the stealth mechanic for humans, which the aliens previously had a monopoly on). The main things to fix in order to encourage this playstyle are to decrease the available stamina humans have, or increase the stamina drain sprinting takes, and increase the walking recharge rate.

Stealth

I like the direction this is going. It's very cool to be finally able to ambush aliens. My favorite part of trem was always hiding as a dretch, and then killing some witless s1 humans from behind. I think a good extension of this would be to make the basi a better stealth fighter. At the moment, it's a weird cross between a stealth class and a healing class, simultaneously pressured to lie in wait behind human lines, and heal people from behind alien lines. You can guess what most people choose to do... A cloaking mechanic would really enhance the class, and might be a great adv ability. Getting rid of healing would allow it to be better at what it does, while not taking away much from the class experience (you don't even get points for healing...). The mechanic of the basi should also be changed. The (base/with no upgrades) spy in tf2 is a good example of a stealth class done right. He has a high skill ceiling, can kill people who aren't completely on their own, has a few methods of escape/infiltration, is no good in up front fighting, and doesn't feel completely OP when the game works correctly (the melee hit detection in tf2 is notoriously bad, especially with spies). The basi suffers from being very weak in crowds, and tends to feel cheap when you have him just outside of your range of fire but you can't turn to kill him. This is not good, as leaving people unable to effect their own deaths while they die is a Bad Thing (TM) (Imo, the trapper has this too...). In general, locking people's fov is annoying, as people like to be able to defend themselves, if not shoot at things. Anyway, another kill mechanic is needed. I'm not sure what would work here, but it does need changing.

Weapons

I have posted previously about where I want to go with weapons, but I'm going to elaborate. There will be a slot system similar to many fpss. There will be the main weapon slot. There will be several weapons to chose from for each class, and they will all be different except for the ckit (although most buildings could be limited to being built by the marine). There will be a sidearm slot. This will have various pistols, as well as medkits and maybe a mini-ckit. All classes will have the same sidearm slot choices. The melee slot will be constant and different for each class. There will also be an upgrade slot. I'm thinking of this as a misc slot. It could contain grenades, bombs, or invisiwatches. Or jetpacks and battpacks. The point of this slot is to allow a greater degree of customization for people.

Classes

Each class should be good at something. The Agent will be good at stealth and sniping. The mecha will be good at taking and dealing damage. The marine will be good at building bases and supporting his teammates. At s1, the marine needs to be able to attack the alien base, and maintain the human base. He needs to have good damage against s1 aliens. At s2, the agent comes in. He has already been outlined as a stealth/sniping class. This means that he should be able to work well with the marine in order to take down larger aliens. He should not be all that great at taking down advanced aliens on his own, but rely on the marine to provide distraction and support. He should be able to deal with s1 aliens more easily than the marine, though. As he is a stealth class, he should also be good at recon if the player so chooses. The mecha should take over from the marine as the main damage class at s3. The marine shifts more into a role of support and base maintenance while the Agent remains in the same niche as before. The agent and the mecha should be very effective at basekilling at this point. (Side note: maybe cold blooded killer isn't the best archetype now that I think about it :P).

Buildings

Defensive Buildings should be tougher as individuals, but there need to be less of them. At the moment, a mara can hop through a h base and zap stuff while leaving with 50% hp. This is due to the obscene amount of spinup turrets have, and it makes bases not very scary. As an alien, a turret or two is no sweat to take out. Now this is ok at s1. Aliens have to be able to dance around the turrets and get within melee range to do damage. It works out because there is a high risk/high reward for aliens. At s2, there is the goon. The goon can take out 1 ret with 2 barbs, possibly while taking little to no damage. Now there is a small risk/high reward for aliens. There is now a very long time (up to 20-30 seconds, with bp regen and build time) to regain what a single goon took away in 5 seconds. With 2 goons and a source of healing, all bases fall unless humans kill the alien base. If humans want to prevent the goons from killing rets, they have to camp, and that allows the aliens to build them in with fwd bases. If they don't camp, their base gets killed. It also feels very futile for builders to keep rebuilding the exact same ret over and over again. I suggest that a new turret be available at s2. It should cost more (14-18) bp, but be more resilient (a goon has to unload his barbs and take a chomp to kill it, thus making basekilling once again high-risk/high-reward) and not suffer from spinup. The downside would be reduced dps. This gives the humans options as well when building bases. Teslas are only really good at doorways, so bases tend to be 5-6 rets and maybe a tesla. Having a new turret would give builders options as well in terms of base design. What's the best number of rets? Where are new rets better? The metagame could use some changing and this would really be nice. On another note, a building to change classes at a cost (credits or time or both) would be interesting either as a separate building or as an upgrade to the arm.

</wall>

lamefun
Tyrant

Post by lamefun »

seana11 wrote:

strafejumping

No no no no no. No! Strafe-jumping is a malicious tick that the Global Government tells us to keep!

Tom
Dragoon

Post by Tom »

lamefun wrote:

No no no no no. No! Strafe-jumping is a malicious tick that the Global Government tells us to keep!

:cyclops:
:granger: :poop: :bomb: :advgranger:
:thumbdown: