If you have trouble registering or do not receive a verification e-mail, please ask for help in chat.

Over-detailed icons?

Release and discuss things you've made, including mods.
Bob_Vador
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2021 5:53 pm UTC

Over-detailed icons?

Postby Bob_Vador » Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:06 pm UTC

Hi, I wanted to redraw the assets because for me the svg files should be in the source code. I want reviews on my assets and that is why I am introducing this asset. What do you think about this asset?

https://github.com/Bob-Vador/unvanquished-icons/blob/main/icons/iconu_bsuit_bigsize.png
User avatar
Gireen
Graphic Designer
Posts: 277
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:26 pm UTC
Location: Germany
Contact:

Re: Over-detailed icons?

Postby Gireen » Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:21 pm UTC

I split the post and moved it here that its public and more visible. Old topic is viewtopic.php?f=36&t=1744

I think the many details on the Battlesuit could make it problematic as a icon.
As the original topic said they become harder to identify or wont look good if when they are smaller.
Also all icons should be only white without outlines so that they can be easy colored in.
fear ma engrish :granger:
User avatar
freem
Programmer
Posts: 179
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:02 pm UTC

Re: Over-detailed icons?

Postby freem » Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:49 pm UTC

Gireen wrote:I split the post and moved it here that its public and more visible.


:thumbup: :beer:

Also all icons should be only white without outlines so that they can be easy colored in.


OTOH there is currently a real visibility problem of icons, and an outline does improve on that.
If the problem is about coloring them, then, as long as the svg files are around, that should be pretty easy to do?
Bob_Vador
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2021 5:53 pm UTC

Re: Over-detailed icons?

Postby Bob_Vador » Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:31 pm UTC

I agreed the icon is over detailled but not the thing that request the icon needs to be only white, because I add the svg file for each png, because the goal is "icons can be modify easily"
User avatar
Gireen
Graphic Designer
Posts: 277
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:26 pm UTC
Location: Germany
Contact:

Re: Over-detailed icons?

Postby Gireen » Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:50 pm UTC

freem wrote:OTOH there is currently a real visibility problem of icons, and an outline does improve on that.

That's what you say all the time but didn't show any real problem.
The stamina and health icons are perfectly visible even if stamina becomes harder to see if you point the icon exactly at a lamp.

The icons on the momentum bar are hard to see, especially the detailed ones but this could be solved with adding a semi transparent black background to these icons ingame and not the icon assets.
Image

Bob_Vador wrote:If the problem is about coloring them, then, as long as the svg files are around, that should be pretty easy to do?


It becomes unnecessary complicated to change. Best example is try to change the icon color to something dark like black. It will turn into a blob so we would require extra versions for every icon if they had "hardcoded" outlines.

An outline should be added, if at all, in the game itself where it would necessary and not in the graphics.

To be clear i think it is a good idea to vectorize all icons, cause i would like to have them turned into an icon font.
But adding black outline to all images makes future changes harder not easier and creates unnecessary work.
fear ma engrish :granger:
User avatar
freem
Programmer
Posts: 179
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:02 pm UTC

Re: Over-detailed icons?

Postby freem » Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:31 am UTC

Gireen wrote:That's what you say all the time but didn't show any real problem.
...
stamina becomes harder to see if you point the icon exactly at a lamp.


I never talked about the health icon, which is, indeed, always easy to see. The stamina icon is currently useless, since it carries no info with it (that's something I'd like to change) but at least you got the point that in bright areas, icons are hard to see.

The more useful icons, which are also the most problematic ones, are the medkit and grenade icons (which can be "consumed", and I know that some players never notice they actually have a medkit before someone tells them, because they told me they never noticed it, after ~30min of game, that there was a medkit), which are hard to see, especially in any bright area, even if not pointing directly at lamps, and unvanquished's maps are *full* of bright areas (because it does not knows how to correctly render black, or something like that, I've read?).

Gireen wrote:The icons on the momentum bar are hard to see, especially the detailed ones but this could be solved with adding a semi transparent black background to these icons ingame and not the icon assets.


So you admit some useful icons can be hard to see, finally. Yes, to have a semi-transparent background behind the icons would also be a solution.

Gireen wrote:An outline should be added, if at all, in the game itself where it would necessary and not in the graphics.


Technically doable for text (but then I wonder what would be the results on small text), since freetype2 is able to do that, but unfortunately, librocket does not know how to use this option. For icons, I don't think that'd be doable easily.
User avatar
Gireen
Graphic Designer
Posts: 277
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:26 pm UTC
Location: Germany
Contact:

Re: Over-detailed icons?

Postby Gireen » Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:24 pm UTC

freem wrote:I never talked about the health icon, which is, indeed, always easy to see.

(-_-)
freem wrote:OTOH there is currently a real visibility problem of icons, and an outline does improve on that.

Thats what i am saying, you complain that there is a problems with icons and want to have outlines on all of them.
But you don't mention the concrete problems.

freem wrote:The stamina icon is currently useless, since it carries no info with it

That's totally wrong. Maybe its hard for you to understand but i already told you this icon is important especially for new players to easily understand the meaning of the stamina bar.

freem wrote:but at least you got the point that in bright areas, icons are hard to see.

And i also told you that it is not a problem with the stamina icon. You don't need to have it 100% visible at all times for it to fulfill its purpose.

freem wrote: the most problematic ones, are the medkit and grenade icons

Maybe you see the logical flaw in adding an outline to every icon, cause 2 are not good visible in one place.
The problems of the inventory go beyond the icon visibility to a more conceptional level.

freem wrote:So you admit some useful icons can be hard to see, finally.

I think it is agreed by everyone that the icons in the inventory and momentum have no good visibility.
What i am saying is that that adding black lines to the icons is a generally bad idea and there are better solutions for the visibility problem.

freem wrote:Yes, to have a semi-transparent background behind the icons would also be a solution.

Then i don't see a reason why we even need to have this discussion.
fear ma engrish :granger:

Return to “Community Development”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest