TK Compensation

Request new features or present your ideas.
Asvarox
Mantis

Re: TK Compensation

Post by Asvarox »

Khaoz wrote:

This is quite over exaggerated. I'm not sure what servers you play on but I have never experienced any of this on a non-FF server.

Have to admit, I don't recall playing non-FF GPP server myself (I don't think there were servers running with such setting for longer period). Though back in 1.1, most of the things I mentioned were quite standard on lets say TremSpain where I used to play. I know both nadespam thing and flamerchainsuit thing weren't as common (require some cooperation), though still count as an abuse for me. Awesome thing to do when there's a possibility though :D .

seana11 wrote:

@Hitboxes

They aren't realistic. When was trem ever entirely realistic? Get over it.

Nobody said that they are "unrelasitic", actually.

A thought though, making the entire game "realistic" (proper movement for both races, physics that kind of stuff) would definitely differentiate it from Tremulous.

Sixthly wrote:

Friendly Fire should not be enabled until such a time that we do not use hit box detection. It is very unintuitive for a player to have to account for invisible boxes.

Until then, I'd rather have that unintuitiveness of taking into account invisible hitboxes.

After all it will be still up to servers operators. Though if we take official servers into account, I don't think they should run gimmick gameplay.

Khaoz
Graphic Designer

Post by Khaoz »

Asvarox wrote:

Nobody said that they are "unrelasitic", actually.
A thought though, making the entire game "realistic" (proper movement for both races, physics that kind of stuff) would definitely differentiate it from Tremulous.

Agreed, I'm not sure where seana got this from.
Realism isn't always fun (but it can add to the immersion of a game), and the non-realism in the engine actually makes the game more enjoyable imo (ie, strafe jumping and q3 physics. You can try to get speed by strafe-jumping irl but it wont work sadly :( )

Sixthly was making reference to the hitbox being bigger than the actual model (nobody likes getting hit when they shouldn't). I'm pretty sure the devs have been looking into an alternative but until then we are stuck with this:

Fuma
Programmer

Post by Fuma »

The issue here is we use the bounding box for hit detection AND world collision. Most games use the bounding box for world collision, and then use it as a cheap early out for more expensive bullet, projectile, or melee attack hit detection using multiple hitboxes per model.

Here is TF2 for instance:

A lot of code would have to be changed to accommodate this.

If we do this, aliens would be at a great disadvantage because the distance to the player's head would be greater (requiring them to get closer to get a headshot), and the target area for a headshot is smaller. The effect on the human team would be much smaller because aliens don't take locational damage and alien models tend to fill the bbox more. The new acid tube almost completely fills the bbox as well.

This effect on balance could be accommodated, but would take time.

ViruS
Granger

Post by ViruS »

seana11 wrote:

Having no TK just encourages humans to spam ammo. The only way around this is to enable TK. I like what JBiscuitz said earlier.

Honestly, i never gave a fk about bleeding. I just fired away...

EckleckLighat wrote:

I prefer to have FF on. I find it more fun/realistic, and personally find people that prefer if off big, huge wimps :D
I recall a thread where one guy was complaining about another guy who kept jumping in front of his luci shots with FF off, causing them to blow up in his face. So that's one argument against it.

On the flip side, I think compensation for bleeding is in order, but not to the full amount - there needs to be some kind of punishment for getting in the way :P

As another thought, could we reduce/nullify the damage to structures for certain kinds of weapons? Punishment should still be in order for those dumb enough to luci/prifle/flame the base, but it's really annoying trying to build in the midst of a chaingun war. You build a ret, only to have it destroyed an instant later by a stray 3 dmg chaingun bullet. So maybe it would be a good idea to turn FF (vs structs) off for rifles and chainguns, at the very least while building.

Para 1: What if he is doing it unconciously. I've once spent 2 lives in a row, only to be bitten once on the foot and luci'd 4 times in the head [headshots of luci do above 50 dmg, i dont have enough time to recover with a medkit] so there's one againts FF.
para2: With blocking, it would be sweet if we could somehow have people with lower hp able to push those with higher hp out of their way, but it kinda sounds rediculous. Besides, aliens flee a lot from battle because they don't want to die from combat. Right now its either die in combat or die running, unless the human has really shit aim.
para3: I'm sure chaingun does 6 dmg... but i somwhat agree. Maybe something like, having the dcc bounce human projectiles would be sweet. For example, someone 'accidentally' shot a full shot at the rc, it will bounce back at his face. This would be interesting to see...

ImageImageYou[TubeImage