The goals are:
- easier to understand game mechanics
- enabling different play styles (eg winning by only building or not building at all)
- making the game more rewarding
- getting easier to play for newbies
- working with fewer players
- giving all classes and weapons more distinct purposes
- be more independent of specific map environments
- shorter game rounds (possible to modify with server settings)
To achieve this i want to go a few steps back and start with most tremulous 1.1 settings, switch the focus from spread out bases back to tight packed fortresses and add a few ideas that where given in this forum or implemented in tremulous mods.
In concrete changes that would mean
Momentum becomes a skill tree.
For the beginning a straight line without choices like it is now it should be later possible for a team to decide which items/buildings/abilities they want to unlock.
The unit would be xp and simply being related to credits and buildpoints that a team collected without decreasing at all.
Certain unlocks might have other conditions besides xp, like a certain number of miners and other buildings or already mined buildpoints
destroyed buildings and players would drop ammo and health
Destroying buildings gives credits and xp
New Buildpoint system
Buildpoints are no more retrieved
Miners produce Buildpoints over time and get more efficient the older they are.
After an unlock or age miners could also produce credits for all players of a team
Alien Class changes
The goal with a finished skill tree would be to have only base aliens where players could select specific abilities depending on the tech stage.
Until then there will be additional advanced classes.
- Tyrant becomes more like a tank, slow moving less agile but with high health.
- Adv Tyrant is added with more health and the ability to trow acid bombs, witch must be recharged at the booster.
- Mantis becomes its grab and gas abilities back
- Adv Dretch is a bigger dretch with more health and a pounce ability like the dragoon
- Adv Marauder Zap is nerfed against buildings
Return of the Tesla and Defence Computer
Rockedpod attacks only projectiles and shield against them.
Barricades become immune to distance weapons and can be build on walls and roofs.
Spiker does no teamdamage anymore
Thats it so far. Many changes will have to prove themself first in practice or are not imagined jet but this is the general direction i want to move in and start of from.
To turn the gamedesign into a community effort i want to revive the creation of our vision statement with its own subforum.
For a better organization of ideas i think we should add some sort of voting function that could make interesting ideas move visible despite being old. An example would be https://www.phpbb.com/community/ideas