If you have trouble registering or do not receive a verification e-mail, please ask for help in chat.

Rebalance tyrants

Request new features or present your ideas.
freem
Mantis

Rebalance tyrants

Postby freem » Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:34 pm UTC

I just did some tests, for fun.

A marauder jumping on a telenode deals ~12 damages.
A dragoon jumping on a telenode deals ~28 damages.
A tyrant jumping on a telenode deals .... ~28 damages, again.

I think a good way to make tyrants beasts you don't want to see in your base is, increase their mass (it's currently of 500, versus 200 for dragoon, 50 for marauder, 30 for mantis and 5 for dretch) so that they could destroy a telenode by simply jumping on it 3 to 4 times (currently, it requires 11 jumps).

Such a change would have *no* effect at all against average buildings, because tyrants can only go above medistation and telenodes, due to their very low jump magnitude. It also imply this won't change much stuff in normal fights, except maybe make them harder to control? (not sure on that, one could play with other parameters to work around that though, like acceleration, speed, airAcceleration, friction, stopSpeed... I don't know how they change gameplay)

Illwiecks also did some testing, and it seems that increasing clawHeight parameter from 20 to 40 makes it a lot easier to hit.

I think those changes would make tyrant less of a joke, and maybe humans will start fearing it anew.
illwieckz
Project Head

Re: Rebalance tyrants

Postby illwieckz » Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:36 pm UTC

Does increasing mass give tyrant more self damage when falling from high? Does tyrant suffer from falling damage to begin with?
This comment is licensed under cc ​​by 4 and antecedent.
freem
Mantis

Postby freem » Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:46 pm UTC

illwieckz wrote:Does increasing mass give tyrant more self damage when falling from high? Does tyrant suffer from falling damage to begin with?

No. No alien suffer from fall damage IIRC, they all have "fallDamage 0.0" (I suppose it's a multiplier)
killing time
Programmer

Postby killing time » Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:45 am UTC

+1 to mass increase :tyrant:
freem
Mantis

Postby freem » Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:30 pm UTC

Basically, I think what determines the damages is something like speed multiplied by mass multiplied by a constant.
Since tyrants almost don't jump, their increased mass is ridiculous compared to goon's, when it comes to damages.

freem wrote:it's currently of 500, versus 200 for dragoon, 50 for marauder, 30 for mantis and 5 for dretch

Needs test, but I'd suggest a good x3 multiplier for tyrant, and x1.5 for goons. They are meant to be massive mobile tanks or fortresses after all, they gave up the stealth, so let's give them some real thingy.
It would result in 1500 mass for tyrant, and 300 for dragoon. A little more for adv goon. A stupid and probably very wrong estimate would say 81 damages for tyrant, and 37 for goons. Needs tests, but is the idea ok for you?

Return to “Ideas & Suggestions”