Installation README file

Request new features or present your ideas.
Nrrdzilla

Installation README file

Post by Nrrdzilla »

Hi all.

I just grabbed the universal zip and extracted it. My first reaction was a bit of confusion and I can't imagine that I'm unique in this. I'm suggesting we add a README file to the top level of the unpacked zip.

I can't speak to the Windows and Mac builds, particularly as to what specifics they need. I'm guessing a basic README could contain something like the following:

1) Extract the zip that corresponds to your system, as well as symbols_N.nn.x.zip.
2) Delete the other zips -- you won't need them.
3) Move all of the contents of the system-specific folder (that you previously extracted, e.g. linux-amd64) to the same level as this README, and delete the now-empty folder.
4) Run the daemon executable to start the game.

Please comment on this, in case I've missed something, esp WRT the other OS-specific zip files. I'll try to get one of my buddies to comment on his Windows experiences, here, too. I literally just did all of the above and am now screwing around with the game.

Maybe the README (I keep wanting to type REAMDE -- LoL) can explain the structure of the directory tree, too, to help illuminate what the pkg and symbols folders contain and their purpose for the game.

Thanks,
N

illwieckz
Project Head

Re: Installation README file

Post by illwieckz »

Note that you don't need to extract symbols, only the zip containing the engine for your system. It must be kept as is (if you have deleted it, don't worry that much, it's only useful to report bugs).

The recommended way to download the game is now the downloader, but yes, a small README for those who really don't want to use the installer may be helpful.

This comment is licensed under cc ​​by 4 and antecedent.

Nrrdzilla

Post by Nrrdzilla »

Hi illwieckz,

When you say the downloader, do you mean the file (retrieved by the Download button) that's named:
"UnvUpdaterLinux.zip"
-I was a bit perplexed by the naming, so I unpacked and used the universal zip, first/instead. Something called Updater seemed to be a thing meant to be used after I'd already had an installation in place, just based on the name.

PS I think last time I grabbed binaries you still had debs.unvanquished.net, so it's been a while.

Cheers,
N

cu-kai
Web Crew
Clan: CU

Post by cu-kai »

Nrrdzilla wrote:

Hi illwieckz,

When you say the downloader, do you mean the file (retrieved by the Download button) that's named:
"UnvUpdaterLinux.zip"
-I was a bit perplexed by the naming, so I unpacked and used the universal zip, first/instead. Something called Updater seemed to be a thing meant to be used after I'd already had an installation in place, just based on the name.

PS I think last time I grabbed binaries you still had debs.unvanquished.net, so it's been a while.

Cheers,
N

I think this is a good point - perhaps Installer would be a better name? @illwieckz @ishq

Web Raccoon

illwieckz
Project Head

Post by illwieckz »

Nrrdzilla wrote:

Hi illwieckz,

"UnvUpdaterLinux.zip"

Yes.

And also yes, we may rename it installer. Because it installs the game and updates.

Also, what we have to care about are people installing the game. They'll have updates anyway.

illwieckz
Project Head

Post by illwieckz »

Also we may also call it “Unvanquished Launcher”, because we want the player to launch Unvanquished with it, either it's already installed or not.

Running Unvanquished by running the updaterlauncher is the best way to keep the game up to date: it runs the game if there is no update, or downloads update then runs the game if there is.