Compiling Unvanquished under Ubuntu 11.10

Talk about anything related to Unvanquished.
danmal

Compiling Unvanquished under Ubuntu 11.10

Post by danmal »

There's a wiki page which has instructions for compiling under Ubuntu as well as a whole heap of other Distros/OS's. I suggest that you go there instead. I won't be updating this post any further.

Quite a few people have been trying to compile/install Unvanquished under Ubuntu. Hopefully this guide will help them. Any corrections are more then welcome.

====Downloading Source====

Get the latest source from https://github.com/TremZ/Unvanquished/. To do so you'll need to install git

sudo apt-get install git

Then open Terminal and download the source code (I'm downloading it to my home folder but it can go anywhere)

git clone git://github.com/TremZ/Unvanquished.git

Now just navigate into the directory with

cd Unvanquished

====Compiling====

First we need to install the necessary packages to run

sudo apt-get install cmake libfreetype6-dev libpng12-dev libjpeg8-dev libsdl1.2-dev libopenal-dev libgmp-dev libglew1.6-dev cmake-curses-gui build-essential libcurl4-openssl-dev libogg-dev libvorbis-dev

Now we'll make the directory where we'll build Unvanquished and navigate into it

mkdir build && cd build

Next we'll create the necessary makefiles. I've disabled XVID, WEBP and theora but if you have the relevant dev packages feel free to enable them.

cmake -D USE_CIN_XVID:BOOL=OFF -D USE_WEBP:BOOL=OFF -D USE_CIN_THEORA:BOOL=OFF ..

Now just run "make" in the terminal. Wait a few minutes for the build to complete.

====Adding The Assets====

All we need now is the pak0.pk3, pak1.pk3 and the map pack. So download them from
http://tremz.com/downloads/main/pak0.pk3 (pak0.pk3)
http://sourceforge.net/projects/unvanqu ... 3/download (pak1.pk3)
http://sourceforge.net/projects/unvanqu ... z/download (map pack)
Place pak0.pk3 into build/main and unzip the map pack and place them in build/main as well.

Everything should work now so just ./daemon.i386 and enjoy Unvanquished.

====LIBRARIES THAT CAN BE DISABLED====

If for whatever reason you don't want to install any more libraries then absolutely necessary (or maybe a particular library is playing up) then here's a list of which libraries are not necessary and what features you'll lose if you disable them

*curses -- You won't be able to use ccmake (not to be confused with cmake) but this library doesn't affect gameplay. Disable with -D USE_CURSES:BOOL=OFF

• Ogg/Vorbis -- You won't get the background music for the menu anymore and maybe some sound effects for certain maps. Disable with -D USE_CODEC_VORBIS:BOOL=OFF

• OpenAl -- If this isn't found then sdl sound is used instead. Should have no major impact on gameplay. Disable with -D USE_OPENAL:BOOL=OFF

====IMPORTANT NOTE====

Some Ubuntu users have reported crashing whenever they die. The work around is to build a debug release.

JOURNEYMAN
Dragoon

Re: Compiling Unvanquished under Ubuntu 11.10

Post by JOURNEYMAN »

For troubleshooting purposes, I think it would be helpful to know which library packages can be disabled safely. For example, I had trouble running the game even after successful compilation. According to Ishq, the curses is unnecessary and can be disabled, and after disabling it, I was able to run the game with no problems.

Grab reality by the balls and squeeeeze!

danmal

Post by danmal »

That's a good point. I've tried to keeping the needed libraries to a minimum (no msql, xvid, etc) but stuff like curses + ogg can probably be removed as well. I'll add a section about which libraries can be disabled.

Ishq
Project Head

Post by Ishq »

You probably shouldn't disable ogg. Our menu theme uses ogg and we plan to move all of our sounds to ogg.

danmal

Post by danmal »

Yes, that's a good point. I've mentioned it in my post.

velociostrich
Dragoon

Post by velociostrich »

I really appreciate the work you put into writing this guide, but we now have a wiki and there would be a better place to write this sort of information.

I have already begun on writing compilation instructions here, and I'd appreciate it if you'd edit that page to include any information that is missing.

EDIT: Danmal, I have gone through your post and added anything I saw missing from the wiki article to it, which was only some libraries that could be skipped and two more to install. I think it'd be a good idea if you edited your post and instead directed people to the wiki article.

Anomalous
Programmer

Post by Anomalous »

I'd like some feedback on whether my .debs work on Ubuntu. I don't see too much reason why they shouldn't…

danmal

Post by danmal »

velociostrich wrote:

I really appreciate the work you put into writing this guide, but we now have a wiki and there would be a better place to write this sort of information.

I have already begun on writing compilation instructions here, and I'd appreciate it if you'd edit that page to include any information that is missing.

EDIT: Danmal, I have gone through your post and added anything I saw missing from the wiki article to it, which was only some libraries that could be skipped and two more to install. I think it'd be a good idea if you edited your post and instead directed people to the wiki article.

Sure, when I first wrote this guide I wasn't aware of the Unvanquished Wiki. Although I don't think in source builds are a good idea.

EDIT: Made a few minor changes to the wiki page. Everything looks good.

danmal

Post by danmal »

Anomalous wrote:

I'd like some feedback on whether my .debs work on Ubuntu. I don't see too much reason why they shouldn't…

The script for downloading the .pk's relies on curl but curl isn't a dependency (not sure if that's intentional).
For some reason daemon/renderer/renderergl is x86_64 instead of i386. Not sure if you've compiled for 64 bit machines or what.

EDIT: I've checked and I've downloaded the i386 package for squeeze.

Anomalous
Programmer

Post by Anomalous »

New .debs are available – should all be fixed now.