Cameras/Nav Beacons

Request new features or present your ideas.

Is this awesome?

Yes!

50%

No!

50%

Yes! Let me spy on those grangers without them knowing!

No votes

Total votes: 4
seana11
Tyrant

Cameras/Nav Beacons

Post by seana11 »

Create a new building that costs 1 bp, has low health (25 hp) and is small and inconspicuous. It would create a small camera that could be remotely accessed by the team, taking in a 3d view of the surroundings. It would be accessible from a menu or using commands, and would display the scene from the direction that the player was looking in (eg,. if I was looking north, the camera would display what it saw looking north). It would also show up on radar/whatever aliens use as a green dot. It would not show up on enemy radar.

I can see several uses for this:

1. Instead of screaming "BUILDING IN PLANT ROOM" and then repeat that a couple times, I could place a camera and say "BUILDING AT NAV 23." This would also help with maps that do not have room names, or for ambiguous places (Like the middle of the stairway in Niveus, which could mean in the stairwell, or in the other room inside).

2. If you placed it well enough, you could stick it by entrances, and be warned in advanced of rushes. This could encourage not camping, since you would know when the enemy was attacking.

3. Placing one in your base (Maybe one could always be on the OM or RC), and go out and rush. You could tell when the base was under attack and return. This would discourage camping since you could rush in safety.

The downside to the camera is its low health. Only a few hits (and less than 1 with bigger weapons/classes) would be required to kill it. It should also have a slow build time (10 seconds). The dretch should also be able to attack this building.

kharnov
Granger
Clan: GT

Re: Cameras/Nav Beacons

Post by kharnov »

If you haven't noticed, location data is available on maps. Whenever you say something via team chat, it displays your location next to your name. Thus, if you were to say you were building, it would already say so. This renders the first idea somewhat null.

If you knew when the enemy was coming, wouldn't that just encourage you to run back to base and camp there until they arrive? I don't think the second usage would have an anti-camp function at all. Instead, I feel it would just encourage more camping.

The defense computer warns you if your base is under attack. Thus, there's already something that performs this function, while at the same time providing an auto-repair capability. This strikes out your third idea.

Usage aside, why is a dretch able to take apart a piece of machinery using poison? Why would something so small take a long time to build? If aliens can detect other things used by humans, why would they be unable to detect this?

seana11
Tyrant

Post by seana11 »

kharnov wrote:

If you haven't noticed, location data is available on maps. Whenever you say something via team chat, it displays your location next to your name. Thus, if you were to say you were building, it would already say so. This renders the first idea somewhat null.

If you knew when the enemy was coming, wouldn't that just encourage you to run back to base and camp there until they arrive? I don't think the second usage would have an anti-camp function at all. Instead, I feel it would just encourage more camping.

The defense computer warns you if your base is under attack. Thus, there's already something that performs this function, while at the same time providing an auto-repair capability. This strikes out your third idea.

Usage aside, why is a dretch able to take apart a piece of machinery using poison? Why would something so small take a long time to build? If aliens can detect other things used by humans, why would they be unable to detect this?

The intention is for it to be hard to detect, but easy to kill. I was thinking that the model would be about the size of a human blaster. The point is to spy on the other team; if the other team can spot it on its radar, what good is it? I also like the idea of making a fore base, and using the camera to check up on it, instead of having someone sitting around and repairing. RE: DCs, if you have dcs in your base, you have other things to worry about.

JOURNEYMAN
Dragoon

Post by JOURNEYMAN »

FWD bases are supposed to be expendable. Losing the fwd base shouldn't be so critical that you lose the game. If you spend too much time at fwd bases then you risk opening your main base to attack.

Grab reality by the balls and squeeeeze!

velociostrich
Dragoon

Post by velociostrich »

kharnov wrote:

My memory might be hazy but I do believe there are some maps without this data.

JOURNEYMAN
Dragoon

Post by JOURNEYMAN »

On US1 and EU1, they fixed some of the maps to include the location data.

Grab reality by the balls and squeeeeze!

seana11
Tyrant

Post by seana11 »

JOURNEYMAN wrote:

FWD bases are supposed to be expendable. Losing the fwd base shouldn't be so critical that you lose the game. If you spend too much time at fwd bases then you risk opening your main base to attack.

Yes, and this allows you to spend as little time as possible.