Barricade (2)

Concept artwork for models and maps.
alexbo
Concept Artist

Barricade (2)

Post by alexbo »

Here is my sketch for the barrier. I only have on sketch since it's a pretty straight forward organic alien barrier. If you like it, I'll polish it up.

The attachment barrier.jpg is no longer available
Attachments
barrier.jpg
Viech
Project Head

Re: Barrier design

Post by Viech »

How would it look when it shrinked? Remember, when the barricade is touched by an alien it will shrink down to 40% of its height to let it pass. We will also need to be able to make an animation for that.

You seem to be a full developer now, yay! :smile:

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

alexbo
Concept Artist

Post by alexbo »

I do remember and did start to consider it. I'm guessing I don't get much a of a say on the animation but how I imagined it instinctively is sort of simultaneously shrinking down and on either sides. I'll definitely make a shrinked version but wanted to know if i'm on track design/style wise.

And If I'm considered full developer that's great! It's a lot of fun and great experience to work on a big game project like this.

alexbo
Concept Artist

Post by alexbo »

A rough of the shrinked version.

The attachment barrier_down.jpg is no longer available
Attachments
barrier_down.jpg
Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

Shrinking sideways could work. I think it would be nice if the tentacles/vines would have a more individual movement though. They could all go down in individual directions or maybe even wind down in a spiral.

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

alexbo
Concept Artist

Post by alexbo »

I didn't use any plant reference material if that what is you are saying. I'm using stuff from alien to figure out the surface mainly but the rest is from Kharnov's thumbnail.

As for the rest I don't have a clue what you are referring to but that's probably because I'm not too familiar with the game enough. So if you could dumb it down a bit that would be good. And if you elders can agree on the design so I know where to go.

Here's what I did in the meantime. Still a bit rough but the texture is coming out and there's probably gonna be a second, cooler light source.

The attachment barrier2.jpg is no longer available
Attachments
barrier2.jpg
kharnov
Granger
Clan: GT

Post by kharnov »

I think that looks very good. Viech's spiral shrinking idea would work well.

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

I considered giving you plant pictures as inspiration (there are a few plants with interesting tentacles) but I decided to just put my thoughts into text form after discussing this on IRC, so this is what cron was refering to.

I don't see the benefit in your idea cron. We didn't use parts of player class models for our alien structures before and I don't see how the casing of a small flying alien could make a good barricade.

I like alex' concept since it combines elements from the old barricade with our new alien style pretty well. I'm just worried about the shrinking animation and the shrunken model itself, since the tentacles in the current concept are tied together strongly. Instead of having a single split between both sides of the barricade, I'd rather like to see the vines going down individually. (How exactly this happens can be left to the animator, but we should make sure they are independent enough so this works.)

alexbo
Concept Artist

Post by alexbo »

Can I put some sort of membrane between the vines, to make it more interesting and textured?

kharnov
Granger
Clan: GT

Post by kharnov »

I think that would make sense.