Booster (2)

Concept artwork for models and maps.
alexbo
Concept Artist

Booster (2)

Post by alexbo »

Here is the design sketch for the booster. For some reason the uploader doesn't work so here is a dropbox link.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/boppr0cjlqjkhs0/booster.jpg

kharnov
Granger
Clan: GT

Re: Booster design

Post by kharnov »

That poor creature! I really like those beady eyes, they're a nice touch. It's like it wants to die, but it gets constantly force-fed nutrients by the overmind. Aliens come by to get healed by things it squirts out at them, and they cover their claws in the poison it produces. Then when the humans come to attack it, the booster doesn't fight back.

alexbo
Concept Artist

Post by alexbo »

Damn dude, that's dark haha. It's like a Doug Stanhope bit.

So you don"t have specific modifications?

kharnov
Granger

Post by kharnov »

See if you can give it some distinctive markings here and there, or add some color to parts of its body. Don't forget the nutrient ooze.

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

Yeah, poor little booster. I like the concept a lot, the pores will make it more lively than its ancestor. If it heals, it would be surrounded by a gas cloud.

It is ideal if buildables have a square footprint, so they fit into their bounding boxes better. The footprint of your concept is fine, I just wanted to let you know for future concepts. Buildables that can be built on walls (which doesn't apply to the booster) will need to have a cubic bounding box.

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

alexbo
Concept Artist

Post by alexbo »

Here's where I am right now.
It could be almost final if you like it.

Does anyone know how to upload a picture to have it displayed directly on the post? Is the upload failing right now?

Viech: can you make rectangular bounding boxes in this system? (so I can make elongated designs like this one)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ugkwez0vurttypm/booster2.jpg

kharnov
Granger

Post by kharnov »

Looks good to me! You can use that for the final, then. How about trying the barricade now?

As for the attachment issues, I have no idea. Dropbox works for now.

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

alex_bo wrote:

Viech: can you make rectangular bounding boxes in this system? (so I can make elongated designs like this one)

For buildables that can only be built on the floor (like the booster or barricade), the height doesn't need to match the length/width but the ground plane of the boundig box should always be square, because bounding boxes don't rotate (they are always aligned with the world's axis, no matter how you place a buildable). The future of bounding boxes in our engine is unclear, we might move to polygon based hit and/or collision detection at some point but since bounding boxes are a simple but highly efficient solution we might also just stick to them. Fitting into a bounding box is a soft limit for a model. If you have a look at Tremulous' barricade on the screenshot in my last post you'll see that it hardly matches the artificial boundaries. It is entirely possible for models to stick out of or not take all space of a bounding box. The issue is just that you will hit the structure if you shoot at the bounding box and that parts that stick out of it can reach into walls or other structures/players but can't be hit. Especially for the barricade, we'd like to have something that fills the given space better for those reasons. Your booster design is fine, we will make the bounding box reach a little further out at the sides. As a player, you will hardly notice this.

If you work on the barricade, you should know that it uses two different bounding boxes: When it is touched by an alien, it will shrink down to let it pass. The ground plane will remain unchanged but its height will be reduced to that of an acid tube (an acid tube next to a barricade).

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

alexbo
Concept Artist

Post by alexbo »

Thanks for the info Viech. I'll get to work on that Barricade now.

Akele

Post by Akele »

Take a granger, squash the head together, smash the body flat, rip off its tusks and stab it a few times... Abuse it a little more... And let it sit there to rot on life support while other aliens forcefully uses it for their own benefits. This is the driving force of the human, as at the first moment they stared into those six beady eyes, they knew it was their duty to fight the aliens in order to relieve the booster from its sufferings. I love it.

For those who don't see it, click.