Painsaw

Concept artwork for models and maps.
kharnov
Granger
Clan: GT

Re: Painsaw design

Post by kharnov »

I really like the small details you put in, like the textured grip and the markings on the rear of the weapon. I would say that everything prior to the blade looks very good. The blade itself looks good too, but I would like to see a couple of variations. Maybe try a vertical saw blade to see how that would go.

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

Weapon body looks good. I don't mind the saw orientation, I guess horizontal is fine. I agree with kharnov that a few variations of the blade can't hurt though.

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

alexbo
Concept Artist

Post by alexbo »

Here's a quick idea with a slightly more sophisticated vertical blade. If you like it, I could polish the blade a bit.

Capture d’écran 2013-08-22 à 19.24.54.jpg
Attachments
painsaw2.jpg
Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

The saw should work with energy as opposed to an actual blade, we will even want to visibly increase its range by having some sort of energy spike as in Stannum's first sketch. Speaking of which, I liked its front part, maybe get some more inspiration from there for the "blade" area?

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

Ishq
Project Head

Post by Ishq »

That vertical blade looks quite nasty, I like it.

Also...

alex_bo wrote:

ok so I tried to integrate some of the cool elements from Stannum's ideas. I included the UFO shaped "dish" in the front. The part in which you slide your arm to hold it in the front. There's also a beam thing behind the dish that I found really nice and included. It's b&w, if you want color let me know.

If you're interested in how stannum draws: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtBS5PSjWcE I find this pretty awesome. Timescale of him drawing the construction kit.

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

Ishq wrote:

That vertical blade looks quite nasty, I like it.

Vertical is fine, but it seems unwise to go the mechanical blade path (cf. discussion in this thread).

Ishq
Project Head

Post by Ishq »

Probably, considering the back story behind the saw.

JOURNEYMAN
Dragoon

Post by JOURNEYMAN »

I really like the vertical blade concept. Perhaps the physical blade can be reduced in size and used as the generator for the energy blade?

Grab reality by the balls and squeeeeze!

alexbo
Concept Artist

Post by alexbo »

sounds good, so just make the vertical one cooler?

kharnov
Granger
Clan: GT

Post by kharnov »

Yes.