Painsaw

Concept artwork for models and maps.
alexbo
Concept Artist

Re: Painsaw design

Post by alexbo »

Alright cool.

I started the rocket pod. I'll probably post tomorrow. But don't feel bad to ask for more modifications on designs. I don't mind doing 10 iterations if necessary.

Ishq
Project Head

Post by Ishq »

Yeah, don't worry about that. Viech will be back in a bit and he'll probably give you more feedback and whether he needs any more iterations.

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

Generator looks good. Reduced bulkiness is better, would you like to make the back/stock/battery part a bit shorter, too? I guess that would make it look even more like a heavy yet simple tool and less like a rifle. The modeler hwo was interested in doing the painsaw, Rican, asked for both a top and a side view of the old concept, so if he still wants to have a look at the top (or needs more detail in some area) he should post here. I'll also invite Stannum to give some more input. Apart from that I'd consider the painsaw ready for the next step, thank you very much Alex! :smile:

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

alexbo
Concept Artist

Post by alexbo »

Cool. I'll make that top view if needed.
Another thing I probably made clear in the latter versions is that the part in the middle, the one that goes oblique at roughly 45 degrees is where the hodling arm goes. It was from Stannum idea of having a protection over the front/holding arm. That is why I put the round part, as an hinge to allow movement of the forearm. As I attempted to quickly illustrate here.

The attachment Capture d’écran 2013-09-03 à 16.41.41.jpg is no longer available
Attachments
Capture d’écran 2013-09-03 à 16.41.41.jpg
Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

I'm not sure if I understand the designated holding position. Is this a right or left-handed tool? I assume that the primary hand would go to the trigger.

I'm also not sure how hard it would be to animate both the first and third person human hands holding that gun. If both trigger and side handle have to be grabbed in a predefined angle then things might look odd depending on how ergonomical the weapon model is going to be. As an alternative, maybe copy the handle of a real chainsaw? Its advantage is that the tool can be safely held in different angles (in order to do both vertical and horizontal cuts).

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

alexbo
Concept Artist

Post by alexbo »

Not a bad idea, to have this style of handle.

My design was left handed (left hand on the trigger, right arm showed in green) you'd hold it sideways like you would a large machine gun. I'm not too familiar with how you animate it with the character so I'll let you judge if the designs are feasible in that respect.

kharnov
Granger
Clan: GT

Post by kharnov »

alexbo
Concept Artist

Post by alexbo »

Here's a quick iteration with that type of handle. I hope it's clear.

The attachment Capture d’écran 2013-09-03 à 19.05.07.jpg is no longer available
Attachments
Capture d’écran 2013-09-03 à 19.05.07.jpg
Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

Would you like to try such a chainsaw-like handle, where the hand doesn't need to reach inside a part of a gun? I guess that would be easier to model and animate and also stress the fact that the painsaw was originally a cutting tool.

If you do, please make the concept right handed, so we see the part of the side handle that can't be grabbed. That way, 1) the painsaw will be handled exactly like a real chainsaw and 2) the side of the handle that can be grabbed will show up in the first person view (assuming the painsaw is used in vertical cutting mode).

Examples: Vertical and horizintal cutting with a chainsaw.

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

Stop working faster than I type. :confused:

I guess the handle should go further to the front, currently it's too close to the trigger.