Drill

Concept artwork for models and maps.
alexbo
Concept Artist

Drill

Post by alexbo »

Here are 2 early design sketches for the drill.

The attachment drill.jpg is no longer available
Attachments
drill.jpg
kharnov
Granger
Clan: GT

Re: Drill design

Post by kharnov »

I like the shape. However, it should be free-standing. That can be done by taking those two side parts and placing them in the front and back too, so it's sort of like an X or cross shape when viewed from the top.

alexbo
Concept Artist

Post by alexbo »

That is also what I thought but I wanted to show the drill bit so I left it out.

Would you prefer a perspective view for the rendering?

Which of the two do you prefer to develelop?

kharnov
Granger

Post by kharnov »

Top-left looks good. Let's go with an isometric view.

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

Oh, should have said this earlier … "drill" is just a (code)name we gave to the human resource generator but just like the alien counterpart (the leech), it draws resources not only from the floor but in a big spherical area of effect around its center, so it would be better suited if it had some form of particle collection apperature instead of an actual drill. Imagine it would try to catch radioactivity or neutrinos. Still, moving parts that visualize the fact that it's operational would be cool (all human buildables can lack power and shut down).

The construction as such isn't bad but try to make it a bit more bulky. We don't know whether we will stick to it for eternity but currently each buildable (and also each player class, missile and pretty much everything in the game) has an invisible cuboid with square ground around its body, called a bounding box. This is used for both collision and hit detection and buildables that don't fill all of its space can still be hit, even though it looks like the shot would not scratch it or go through a hole. Therefor, having wide outstanding stands and a small body isn't ideal. The same would apply to parts that stick out of the box (our turret has a very long barrel which sticks out of the bounding box and can reach inside a wall). The bounding box isn't really a hard limit but you should keep it in mind since some constructions might not work too well with it. A good example of bounding box usage would be our reactor.

Also keep in mind the buildable isn't used by anonyone. It should mine autonomously and doesn't need handles.

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

kharnov
Granger

Post by kharnov »

Since the drill falls under the gameplay that Viech is designing, I'll defer to him on the drill design. So, he'll have the final word on the art direction of the drill instead of me.

Khaoz
Graphic Designer

Post by Khaoz »

How do you come up with such quality stuff so quickly? haha nice work

alexbo
Concept Artist

Post by alexbo »

Khaoz wrote:

How do you come up with such quality stuff so quickly? haha nice work

I don't have a job right now. That's how :P.

alexbo
Concept Artist

Post by alexbo »

Viech wrote:

We don't know whether we will stick to it for eternity but currently each buildable (and also each player class, missile and pretty much everything in the game) has an invisible cuboid with square ground around its body, called a bounding box. This is used for both collision and hit detection and buildables that don't fill all of its space can still be hit, even though it looks like the shot would not scratch it or go through a hole. Therefor, having wide outstanding stands and a small body isn't ideal. The same would apply to parts that stick out of the box (our turret has a very long barrel which sticks out of the bounding box and can reach inside a wall). The bounding box isn't really a hard limit but you should keep it in mind since some constructions might not work too well with it. A good example of bounding box usage would be our reactor.

I think I understand. But the the bounding box refers to the 3 "corners" that stick out attached at the bottom and top? Is it these parts:[ATTACH=CONFIG]381[/ATTACH]

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

No, it's an actual box. Here is a visualization. When you run the game and load a map via the devmap command, you can use the command cg_drawBBOX 1 to display them like that.

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction