Drill

Concept artwork for models and maps.
alexbo
Concept Artist

Re: Drill design

Post by alexbo »

Ah ok! I was totally of the track, now I get it.
And the spherical thing that collects the matter would be sort of built in the core of the cylinder, right? Does it have a lighten effect to it, like a ball of energy, or anything distinguishing it from mechanical parts?

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

No, there doesn't need to be a sphere inside the drill, the resource generators just have a spherical area of effect. Just like the reactor magically distributes power over the air, the drill captures or attracts some invisible resource from its environment. The way how this is displayed is up to you. Read this article if you want more details on how this works gameplay wise. :smile:

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

alexbo
Concept Artist

Post by alexbo »

I missed your post before working on it so here is a version with a visible sphere. Maybe it'll work though.

The attachment drill.jpg is no longer available
Attachments
drill.jpg
jm82792
Animator

Post by jm82792 »

I'm So happy the project has progressed so well and new concepts are being added.
The resource gathering concept sounds great and it should work well.

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

You like steampunk, don't you? :smile:

The general shape and layout is good and pretty much what we were looking for.

The middle area needs a more futuristic design: The glowing sphere in the cage makes it look a bit like a mythical artifact. However, the resource collection component should definitely be visible like that in order to make the drill visually different from the similiarly sized repeater, so the general direction is good.

For consistency, the stands should not be as filigree since those of our currently finished models have a rather simplistic and sturdy design. Have a look at the turret and reactor:

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

alexbo
Concept Artist

Post by alexbo »

I had to do this one pretty quick but here is an isometric sketch of it. Just wanted some input before I add colour (if necessary).

The attachment drill.jpg is no longer available
Attachments
drill.jpg
Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

Could you try something more sturdy, roundish and futuristic? I liked the round design of your previous concept more, just the middle part and the stands needed some adjustments. If you conform roughly to the style of our reactor you would be on the safe side.

alexbo
Concept Artist

Post by alexbo »

It's honestly much harder than I thought to do this in isometric view. I realised that that shape sketch did not totally make sense in 3D so I have to change it a bit.

alexbo
Concept Artist

Post by alexbo »

How about this one? I must say I quite like this version despite the fact it's still just a line drawing.

drill2.jpg

and a chubbier version

drill2.jpg
Attachments
drill3.jpg
Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

Wow, yes this is very good. How are you so fast?! :grin:

Go with the chubbier version (fits better in bounding box). Also use either three or four stands (more stability). Can't wait to see this one colored!