Drill

Concept artwork for models and maps.
alexbo
Concept Artist

Re: Drill design

Post by alexbo »

Yeah I was imagining a four legged design. If you look at the non-chubby version it has a transparent foot in front. I just wanted to keep the core visible. I'll shade and color it as fast as I can!

alexbo
Concept Artist

Post by alexbo »

What do you think?

The attachment drill_final.jpg is no longer available
Attachments
drill_final.jpg
Khaoz
Graphic Designer

Post by Khaoz »

Niiiccceeeeeeeee

kharnov
Granger
Clan: GT

Post by kharnov »

Very nice.

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

:love:

What do you want to work on next? We have the repeater, which is more compact than the drill so that it doesn't need external stands. It concentrates power in an area so more structures can be built there but it blows up in a big fireball when it gets destroyed. Being an energy related science fiction black box, the repeater should have a visible glowing core, too, which shares a color with that of the reactor whereas the drill uses another color for optical distinction. Since you managed to pick up the reactor's style so well I could imagine a good repeater concept from you but if this feels too repetetive you could go back to alien structures or try human weapons.

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

kharnov
Granger
Clan: GT

Post by kharnov »

Actually, we've already got somebody working on the repeater model. Alex, would you like to do the booster or barricade next?

alexbo
Concept Artist

Post by alexbo »

I'd be interested in the booster. Here's how you described it to me last time
"A booster provides aliens with two things. First, it gives them poisonous attacks for half a minute, and second, it provides a healing aura around it. The structure itself would function as something that oozes things out of pores, likely some sort of gas or green liquid. You could make it out to be like a more flattened version of the acid tube shown here: http://i.imgur.com/4ErJybV.jpg"

So it's a sort flat entity with large pores the secretes some chemical right?

I could also work on human weapons. That looks pretty cool.

I could wor kon both at the same time if it's ok with you two.

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

Of course! I can give you a description of a new weapon later today. It's something that I don't think has been in many games before and it calls for your creativity! :smile:

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

Ok, so Tremulous had the painsaw, which is bascially a chainsaw with a chain made of energy:

The painsaw is cheap but has a very high damage output. It plays a crucial role in taking out alien bases early but can also be used for making dedicated attacks against the Overmind later in the game.

One issue of the painsaw is that while it looks like it would only hurt if if you get into direct contact, it really has a small reach and can damage aliens and structures that are a few feet away. This is important for the handling of the weapon but it's also rather frustrating to inexperienced alien players.

I would like to have the painsaw replaced by something like a blowtorch or thermal lance. It should be a portable device that outputs a thin concentrated line of fire (one that is longer than that of an average real life blowtorch though). The main advantage is that we can keep the current gameplay but make it obvious that the weapon has a small range. The other advantage is that we just introduced the possibility to put alien structures on fire and I want to give this element a bigger role in the game.

The design would be entirely up to your imagination. It can run with any substance you like (gas, oxygen, plasma). It should have the tank attached to it and should not require the wielder to carry parts of it on the body (so that it can also be used together with the battlesuit or jetpack). The design should also differ from the flame thrower which will come in the form of an actual gun (see here for the latest concepts), so I propose you make it look like a military-grade tool that doubles as a weapon since they found out how effective it is against alien structures. At the same time, make it heavy enough so that the player carries it with both hands. That's about the requirements, the rest is up to you!