TraK5: Specular maps

Maps and texture sets.
BlackRice

TraK5: Specular maps

Post by BlackRice »

Not much could be done with grey scale maps. Basically just adjusting contrast and brightness. :grin:
http://www.haochen3d.com/OtherFiles/Unvanquished/traK5spec_Viech.zip
Note: I can't directly attach a zip file to my post, stating the size is too large.

Viech
Project Head

Re: traK5 spec maps for Viech

Post by Viech »

Nice speed, but are these merely greyscale copies of the diffusemaps? I don't think the yellow parts on trim8e should be extremely shiny or wall5a's to wall5e's specmaps should differ (the textures are just supposed to differ in color).

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

BlackRice

Post by BlackRice »

Viech wrote:

Nice speed, but are these merely greyscale copies of the diffusemaps? I don't think the yellow parts on trim8e should be extremely shiny or wall5a's to wall5e's specmaps should differ (the textures are just supposed to differ in color).

Yes and No. Merely desaturating would result in dull specmaps. But I admit I did the maps a bit hastily last time, and I've updated all of them, including tuning down the part with heavy paint (the C on vertpanel and yellow-black stripes of trim8e). Please download them via the same link as my previous post:(http://www.haochen3d.com/OtherFiles/Unvanquished/traK5spec_Viech.zip)
Sorry about the inconvenience.

I thought about the wall spec maps as well and decided to create individual spec maps for them. I believe color coating/tint would affect specularity, so I decided to create separate maps for identical pieces. In general, I used the raw-colored metal parts and portions of identical colors as reference, and attempted to match specularity as closely as possible.
Some of the maps are very identical to one another, and you probably could apply the same maps on identical pieces to save resources, if you'd like.

Please let me know how they look in the game. If the spec maps are fine, I'd like to move onto next task you'd like to assign me to.

Note: Is there a file depository I could use? I can upload stuff to my own webspace, but it is not encrypted.

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

Hey, thank you for the update! There has been no inconvenience, I'm happy you are working on it!

I'm currently on my netbook and can't put them ingame until this evening, but I can explain you how you can set up a testing environment when working on map textures.

First of all, take map-parpax-d02.pk3 from your unvanquished installation directory and unzip its content into a directory called parpax.pk3dir (so that the pk3dir folder contains the same directory structure as the pk3 file, which is really a zip archive with a different extension). Put this directory into the main directory inside your unvanquished home folder (under linux: ~/.Unvanquished/main/parpax.pk3dir, have a look in the wiki for other operating systems). Now whenever you load parpax locally (by issuing the command devmap parpax on the console), Unvanquished will use the files inside that folder instead of those that are shipped with the installation. Inside parpax.pk3dir/scripts/ you will find a text file called parpax_trak5.shader, which lists all shaders that are used in my map, like this:

Code: Select all

textures/parpax_trak5_s/tile2c
{
	qer_editorimage textures/parpax_trak5/tile2c.tga

diffuseMap textures/parpax_trak5/tile2c.tga
bumpMap textures/parpax_trak5/tile2c_local.tga
}

You can add a line starting with "specularMap" that adds your specularmap to the shader:

Code: Select all

textures/parpax_trak5_s/tile2c
{
	qer_editorimage textures/parpax_trak5/tile2c.tga

diffuseMap textures/parpax_trak5/tile2c.tga
bumpMap textures/parpax_trak5/tile2c_local.tga
specularMap specmaps/tile2c_s.tga
}

The file parpax.pk3dir/specmaps/tile2c_s.tga would then be used as a specularmap the next time you load the map. This way you can keep your maps in a clean seperate directory and test changes to them quickly.

Note that the textures that are shipped with the map are in webp format (even though the shader files says the ending is .tga, which gets ignored by the engine). If you want to edit any of those I can give you the tga versions.

Regarding the file hosting, we haven't set up anything yet but your webspace is fine. Encryption isn't really necessary when the assets will end up in a free open source game anyway. :smile:

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

kharnov
Granger
Clan: GT

Post by kharnov »

With regards to file hosting, we're going to be setting up something soon using kangz's server.