Flame Thrower (1)

Concept artwork for models and maps.
Stannum
Modeler

Re: Flamer - Redesign

Post by Stannum »

My comments: http://janvanderweg.com/tremstuff/paintovertqp5qf4g.jpg

Get these pencil tools for drawing: http://stumpypencil.blogspot.com/

Practice line drawing everyday until you can draw straight lines without a ruler. Don't use your wrist. Use your elbow instead, much easier to draw lines.
Draw thin lines.

Gex
Dretch

Post by Gex »

Thanks for the advice Stannum. I'm working on getting better with 2D drawing/sketching. Also, the changes you suggested sound good, I'll see what I can work out and repost it here hopefully soon.

Gex
Dretch

Post by Gex »

Hey guys, sorry for the long time no post, had somethings come up. Well, here is what I have been working on. I've decide to pump out a couple silhouettes to try and nail down a better design. I've got three of them so far, let me know what you think. In the mean time, I'll work on getting a couple more done.

The attachment new_flamer_designs.jpg is no longer available
Attachments
new_flamer_designs.jpg
Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

I'd like to see a single big tank in the form of a grenade, as outlined in my previous post. I prefer the trigger to be a regular finger trigger and there should be a comfortable pose to hold the gun, so I like (1) and (3) more than (2). I think I prefer (3) for its tank and futuristic shape.

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

Gex
Dretch

Post by Gex »

Thanks, I'll crank out a few more with that similar design points. I was thinking of doing a variant of 3 with a more buried tank like 1. Also, did you like the idea of a side handle like in 2?

Gex
Dretch

Post by Gex »

Here is an updated silhouette sheet. I've added three more designs, an top-load design, a more exotic style and a mix design with a blast-shield protecting the top-loaded tank. Let me know what you think.

The attachment 6-21 - flamer silhouettes.jpg is no longer available
Attachments
6-21 - flamer silhouettes.jpg
kharnov
Granger
Clan: GT

Post by kharnov »

1 or 3 are the ones I like the most. 2 might fit well with Viech's grenade idea. However, I do like the hollow underside of 4. Save the design of 5 and 6, the exotic shape and the blast shield can be saved for something like the lucifer cannon.

EmperorJack
Mapper

Post by EmperorJack »

Hi Gex, I like the designs. I'm liking number 1 a lot though. It gives me the feel of a traditional somewhat bulky human heavy weapon. It has nice thick shapes (handle, tank, barrel, shoulder piece) which I feel the flamer needs to resemble its purpose. Contrast it to say the lasgun or mass driver, which I picture as weapons with lots of small fragile pieces.

EmperorJack

kangz
Programmer

Post by kangz »

Hey Gex, my 2 cents:

Nice design but I feel that a real soldier wouldn't want to hold a gun at the shoulder as all these shoulder pieces seem to suggest. A flamethrower is really hot and you would get burnt holding it this close to your face. And also you don't really need to aim it. Google Image for flamethrower confirms that too.

Apart from that I like (1) and (3) better because of the position of the fuel tank (the connection is a bit weak in (3)): (2) makes it very impractical to grab the gun with your second hand. As for (4) and (6) they look like more refined weapons like a lasgun more than a flamethrower imho. And (5), I don't know, too exotic maybe, makes me think of a bio gun like in UT (even if ti looks very different).

Gex
Dretch

Post by Gex »

Thanks for the critiques and everything guys. It seems that 1 and 3 are the favorites, they are my favorites too. As far as the stock/trigger setup, that was on request from Viech to keep the control of the weapon more like a rifle then like a utility. I see if I can think up a mix between the two and if that would work better or not. Also, I'll hang onto the other designs, you guys seem to like some of the parts of the others for other weapons. Thanks as always!