Flame Thrower (1)

Concept artwork for models and maps.
Gex
Dretch

Re: Flamer - Redesign

Post by Gex »

I'm glad you are liking where it is going. Also, thanks for the critique and I'll touch it up some more in the next day or two. I'm still a little unsure of the side handle, which way to go I mean. Should it be more like a a solid horizontal bar coming out of the side like a Gatling-gun, or should I keep it like a handle on the top rail running along the length of the weapon. I guess it depends on how the character will be standing, walking with a tilted gait or walking straight normally. Your input would be appreciated. Thanks!

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

Well, currently the main second-hand handle is on the top, isn't it? Let's settle on naming first, so we don't misread each other:

flamer - 7-27 update 2.jpg

Since the flamer looks heavy, it makes sense that it's hold at both the trigger and top handle. The bottom handle looks like a good alternative but currently a human wouldn't be able to balance the mass with it, since you removed the buttstock. Maybe check if you find another way to combine those two sketches where both holding poses would look valid, for example by making the current trigger handle more of a buttstock and adding back a second trigger to the bottom handle.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]359[/ATTACH]

I did some experiments how this could look like:

flamer - 7-27 update 2.jpg

I'm not sure if this looks good. If you like it, let it inspire you. Maybe it would be better to focus on one holding position and get rid of the other. Up to you!

Attachments
7-7 update 2.jpg

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

Gex
Dretch

Post by Gex »

Here is a little update. I shortened the length of the weapon, tweaked the top-front ribs (I like the idea of them being a cooling system, and also reworked the bottom section a bit, looked weird to me. The cross handle is changed as well, wanted it to stick out somewhat horizontally, for a more natural holding position. The weapon is intended to be held with the right hand close to the hip and the left hand supporting the load.

Attachments
flamer - 8-4 update.jpg
Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

Good improvment! The second-hand handle should go further in barrel direction so it's not behind the center of the mass. Now that we don't have a trigger anymore the tank could go a closer to the gun and be a little bigger. Apart from that it looks pretty much finished. :smile:

The attachment flamer - 8-4 update 2.jpg is no longer available
Attachments
flamer - 8-4 update 2.jpg

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

kharnov
Granger
Clan: GT

Post by kharnov »

That looks good to me. You can start modeling it now if you'd like.

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

Here's a clean version of my adjustments:

The attachment flamer - 8-4 update 2 clean.jpg is no longer available
Attachments
flamer - 8-4 update 2 clean.jpg

Gex
Dretch

Post by Gex »

Ok guys, I've begun working on modelling this bad boy and have a blockout here for you to take a look at. I want to make sure all of the proportions are good before I move on to detailing. The fins/heatsinks are missing from the blockout, but that was just to save time, they will still be in the final product. Let me know if you guys see anything out of place or if something doesn't look right. Thanks!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x3lxxaw5wlva0 ... er_wip.obj

gavlig
Animator

Post by gavlig »

looks totally cool to me!

Stannum
Modeler

Post by Stannum »

They feel really, really front heavy. Not something you'd want to carry around.

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

Gex, could you post a screenshot on your next iteration? I can open .obj but it's more convenient if everyone can have a quick look.