Granger

Models and textures for players, weapons and buildables.
kharnov
Granger
Clan: GT

Granger

Post by kharnov »

We will need someone to work on the granger model. The concept art has been designed by Khaos, with this being the final design that we settled on:

To give some history on the granger, it's the alien builder class. It's fairly small, roughly dog-sized, and meant to be somewhat pudgy in appearance. A green coloring of the carapace sets it apart from the other aliens, who tend to be more drab and organic in appearance. The granger is capable of crawling around on walls, allowing it to place alien buildings in out-of-reach places. It isn't meant to be an attack form, and as such, it is only able to lightly scratch at opponents with its stubby claw arms. The granger is also capable of spitting out globs of organic matter, but this attack is even weaker than utilizing the claws, and is mainly used to poison opponents from a distance.

In Tremulous, the granger looked like this:

It made a variety of gurgling sounds, and possessed a set of six beady, black eyes. Thus, portions of the community found it adorable, and granger rapidly found its place in the culture of the community. Our intent with our rendition of the granger is to preserve the cute aspect of it, while also adapting it to our more highly-detailed and realistic art style. Thus, while an artist should keep in mind that he is designing a player model for a team of horrifying reptilian-bug hybrids, he should also keep in mind a few basic cute touches to ensure that the granger is well-received by the fanbase. To reiterate, the granger should strike a balance between being something that you'd keep as a pet, and something that will attempt to maul you in your sleep.

This assignment is open to any organic modeler that feels he can accurately portray the design as presented in the concept art, as well as capturing the essence of the model.

Viech
Project Head

Re: Granger model

Post by Viech »

Where did the antennas go? :frown:

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

kharnov
Granger

Post by kharnov »

We felt they looked a little out of place, but if an artist can make them look good, go for it.

kharnov
Granger

Post by kharnov »

Casey has begun work on granger. Here are a couple of shots:

Here is the feedback I sent him from the IRC channel:

Wow, nice! I showed it to everyone on the IRC channel and we've taken a good look at it from the various angles you included. So far, we have the following comments and suggestions:

1. The legs came out perfectly. I really like the stubby ones in the back, and the two forelimbs are exactly what we wanted.
  2. Overall, the shape is perfect, with the right proportions between the limbs, head, and body.
  3. With the head itself, we'd suggest bringing the head plate down further, so that it covers up the front of the head a bit more.
  4. The eyes are very good, and our only real suggestion would be to make them slightly larger.
  5. Another suggestion regarding the shape of the head is to slope the sides somewhat, allowing the granger to look directly in front of itself.
  6. You can make the rear end of the granger a bit larger, if you feel that would add to its cuteness.
gillux

Post by gillux »

Nice work. My first impression is that is looks too sad and too old. Like a grandpa alien been tired of fighting all his life long. Body and legs are good, but the head shape is too hard to me. Especially when facing from the front. Maybe too rectangular? The forehead and whatever is a the nose place are too flat and too sheel-like to me. This part isn’t cute.

kharnov
Granger

Post by kharnov »

Casey gave me a few choices for the head. They are in order.

Hey, kharnov
Got some mock ups for a few different Granger mouth options. 1 is a
more reptilian jaw with a beak upper muzzle, 2 is the more insectoid
jaw/beak combo, and 3 is a more fleshy reptilian muzzle and the jaw
from 1. Not a huge amount of detail but these show a few different
directions.
Casey

kharnov
Granger

Post by kharnov »

Here's the final design we went with. Top will be basic granger. Bottom will be advanced granger. We are also considering giving the advanced form little tusks.

kharnov
Granger

Post by kharnov »

Anomalous
Programmer

Post by Anomalous »

It's missing a claw!

I blame {get}

Debian and Ubuntu packages (squeeze, wheezy, sid; 12.04, 12.10, 13.04) may work on derivatives

OFFEND! … no, that's not right… ATTACK!

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

We're sorry, but it tasted so delicious.

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction