Unreadable menus and console

Get support for Unvanquished.
keenblade

[Solved] Unreadable menus and console

Post by keenblade »

All the menu and console text is unreadable white squares or something like that. I believe this is something with locale. In the past, the same thing happened with wolf-ET and the fix was start the game by LC_ALL=C on linux. But now I am on windows8 64bit and don't know how to workaround this bug.
I tried this in autoexec.cfg unsuccessfully:

Code: Select all

seta language en_US

Using Unvanquished-0.14-windows-installer.
Menu image and console log is attached.
Any idea?

Note: Solved by uninstalling and reinstalling the graphic drivers. Now with AMD_Catalyst_13.5_Mobility_Beta2 everything works fine. Thanks guys for the suggestions.

Attachments

[The extension txt has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

broken_menus.jpg
Viech
Project Head

Re: Unreadable menus and console

Post by Viech »

Apart from '...WARNING: OpenGL too old' the log looks unsuspicious. You could try updating you graphics card driver but I'm not sure if this will help. For me it looks like some font issue. I'll direct people here hwo know more about the terminal, fonts and unicode than me.

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

Ingar
Mapper

Post by Ingar »

My bet is on video drivers.
GL_RENDERER: GDI Generic
GL_VERSION: 1.1.0

keenblade, what graphics card do you have?

tim

Post by tim »

console.txt wrote:

WARNING: software renderer detected! Very low frame rates are possible.

You most probably won't be able to play with that anyway, and it might be worth to resolve this independenly to make sure its not the cause of the problem.

Software renderer implies that you have no hardware acceleration. On windows it additionally implies a very old OpenGL version (1.1 according to gimhael).

This is most likly due to a missing or non working graphicsdriver.

keenblade

Post by keenblade »

Graphic card is ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470. And the driver is AMD_Catalyst_13.2_Beta3.
I tried both vanilla and the new renderer with the same result.
All other games work fine. Is there a debug or anything I can provide?

Note: Viech, Ingar and tim, thank you very much. You have nailled the issue. With your suggestions regard to graphic driver, I uninstalled and reinstalled the graphic drivers. Now with AMD_Catalyst_13.5_Mobility_Beta2 everything works fine.
I could not think of it since all other games somehow worked.