Battle Suit (2)

Concept artwork for models and maps.
Ishq
Project Head

Re: Battle Suit Concept

Post by Ishq »

Well, remember, a big issue with a camera will be that it will be 2D meaning your depth perception will be shitty unless it is properly spaced.

Akele

Post by Akele »

Hey, love all of the designs! Just for better comparison, I applied an anthropometric human head to the helmets just to see how much sense it would make.

Regarding design one, I personally don't really like it. For first, it seems too bulky. Considering the human tastes for aesthetics, and such that the game is set in the future, I would believe that the helmet would be designed to look more pristine, right now, it can be compared to a giant piece of raw ore dug up from the ground and hollowed out, but of course, I can be wrong. In addition, as compared to the head, the front of the helmet seems to be quite a load, and may put quite a bit of strain on the neck, and/or affect the soldier's balance.

The second design I like the most, I like how it is round, and size wise, it seems to make sense (compare to the head). I don't know about the bottom bit however (where the mouth resides), it seems a bit "weird" is how I would put it. But I think everything else about it looks fine.

The third design, it is also quite nice, however, I feel like it looks too much alien-y and remind me of Halo covenant for some reason, it could be how the eyes/camera is placed.

And last but not least, the last one is just too flat imo, as compared to the head, the thickness of the helmet just doesn't seem very practical to use as protection, where some areas there is barely any thickness between the head and the helmet, and other areas, the opposite. It just isn't a very balanced helmet as compared to the other few.

PhilZero
Concept Artist

Post by PhilZero »

Aaaand done.

I combined hopefully all the best parts of those helmets into one uber design.

janev
Marauder

Post by janev »

Looking good!

kharnov
Granger
Clan: GT

Post by kharnov »

That design is fantastic. I don't think there's anything else to be added or changed. Now to wait for velo's approval.

Ishq
Project Head

Post by Ishq »

Sweet design. I think it looks great.

velociostrich
Dragoon

Post by velociostrich »

Looks great, awesome work!

I personally am a fan of the slimmer model, but the bulkier concept is still very cool, and if the consensus is that the bulkier one is better, so be it.

I would like to point out that I'm not sure that it makes sense for those grenades (or whatever they're supposed to be) to be on the suit's hips/upper thighs because currently players can only carry one grenade, but it's useful seeing them there in the event that this changes (which it very well may). Regardless, PhilZero, if you could do a modified sketch of what you would see underneath those grenades, that'd mean no guesswork for whomever models this.

Also, we'll need sketches from the side and the rear, of course, and preferably un-posed (meaning standing in a T-shape, arms straight out, either exactly perpendicular or exactly facing the camera) to make it easier on the modeler. (An un-posed front view would also be very nice.) Detail views of obscured bits would also be nice (e.g., a side view of the inner side of the leg, or the base of the neck/helmet if that is obscured by the shoulders).

Oh, and perhaps one last nit to pick: I'm not sure what to make of the two circles on the helmet in the black region to the side.

As for the other helmet designs: if we make a singleplayer campaign, I could see some of those being used for other character models (perhaps even in the multiplayer mode?) to differentiate them from the player and provide some variation (so there's not just 30 of the same looking suited-up dude walking around).

Ishq
Project Head

Post by Ishq »

Should I pass this onto Angel so he can get started or should I wait?

velociostrich
Dragoon

Post by velociostrich »

Ishq wrote:

Should I pass this onto Angel so he can get started or should I wait?

Absolutely wait until the profiles from other angles have been done.

Iciban

Post by Iciban »

sick concept! lots of detail. helmet 2 for me.
Just be careful of how detailed the concepts are. For the people thats modeling it. Gotta be careful for the pivot points. Don't want geo to be crashing