Las Gun

Concept artwork for models and maps.
velociostrich
Dragoon

Re: LAS GUN WIP

Post by velociostrich »

@janev, imo the thumbholes in kenan's concepts look fine (they're not as small as in the image you posted) and look better than the pistol grip. I'd like to see a consensus on this, but we shouldn't spend too much back-and-forth on it. I think the question here is much more one of aesthetics than real-world performance.

janev
Marauder

Post by janev »

aye, I defer to the artist. :)

kenanJ
Concept Artist

Post by kenanJ »

hey guys,

Im sorry I haven't been on for a while. I just moved so I didn't have time, but anyway heres some more concept work for the las gun

gundesign.jpg
gundesign.jpg
Attachments
weapondesign.jpg
kenanJ
Concept Artist

Post by kenanJ »

Case wrote:

Hey KenanJ, awesome concepts and portfolio :)
Hope I can learn a bit from you,
Cheers!

Thanks Case, I will do what I can to help.

janev
Marauder

Post by janev »

Those look really good kenanJ!

kharnov
Granger
Clan: GT

Post by kharnov »

Yeah, wow. That's an impressive amount of detail. Of the ones you just posted, I like the top one the most for the actual las gun, but the second one can be saved for another weapon, possibly the pulse rifle.

Ishq
Project Head

Post by Ishq »

Hope you've settled in ok. Also, your las gun is coming out quite nicely.

PhilZero
Concept Artist

Post by PhilZero »

Hey Kenan, I really like these latest two designs, they are really cool. I especially like the bottom on, it's very unique.

velociostrich
Dragoon

Post by velociostrich »

@kenanj, if I don't get around to responding to these concepts by tonight (in the next few hours), I'll make sure to respond to you tomorrow. Sorry!

Also, awesome work by the way!

velociostrich
Dragoon

Post by velociostrich »

Okay, sorry this took so long, but here it is:

Top image:

• Between the slot for a charging handle (even with a position seemingly to lock it in place, as a safety) on the middle of the receiver and the flash suppressor, I see this concept as much more of a projectile-based rifle than an energy-based weapon (though to be a conventional weapon you'd have to add a magazine well somewhere, most likely at the rear of the stock to complete the bullpup style). This could be fixed by altering the muzzle (a larger diameter or even none at all, perhaps?) and by removing the charging handle, but it just looks too darn cool. I think I could see us using this for a new rifle model.

• I do not care for the bumps on the comb of the stock, as I can't imagine that being comfortable for the shooter when they cant their head to see through the optics. I think it would make sense to either just remove them or add some kind of (adjustable?) pad like you see on the combs of some rifles.

• The trigger guard isn't enclosed! I think it would make sense to put a bar going across below the trigger to fully enclose it.

• I love the geometry of the foregrip with the exception of the bump at the bottom towards the middle. I think it should be moved forward and reduced in length, or just removed.

Overall, I really like this concept, but like I say above, I think it fits a rifle better than an energy weapon. (Again, we may very well end up using it in this state or similar, however!)

Bottom image:

• Ditch the ejection port! Again, energy based weapon and all that. (On the other hand, I feel like it might look a little too bland with nothing on the side of the receiver. Maybe a window into the internals or something? E.g., glowing bits inside?)

• Same as above, having things projecting from the comb of the stock (where the shooter would rest their head) doesn't make sense. I think those little cylindrical bits (which are shown in the detail image) should be removed.

• I think the shapes towards the bottom of the stock should be smoothed. Remember that this is something that is being manufactured, so a mix of sharp edges and arbitrary curves doesn't really make sense.

• I think the grip is not tall enough, and should have some height added into it somehow, perhaps by shifting the bottom of the stock down or slimming it some.

• I would move the selector switch to where the shooter's thumb can access it—that is, ahead of the grip, not behind it.

Overall, I think this is another really solid concept. Despite not having a muzzle break or anything like that on the fore end of the gun, the fore end just looks right, like it is meant to be, and implies that it's energy based. I could see the little circles by the stock being some kind of indication of how much energy is left in the tank, so to speak, as well (even if in reality that'd be kinda bad placement visibility wise). I.e., they'd glow blue (or whatever color) and as energy is depleted by shooting the thing, the lights would successively go out.

Keep up the awesome work! And again, apologizes for taking so long to respond!