Las Gun

Concept artwork for models and maps.
kenanJ
Concept Artist

Las Gun

Post by kenanJ »

So I decided to sketch up different designs for the gun, which design looks best for the las gun?...let me hear some feed back.

Attachments
lasgun.jpg
velociostrich
Dragoon

Re: LAS GUN WIP

Post by velociostrich »

Hey, nice to see something so quick from you!

So, on to (constructive!) criticism:

1. I want very much to like this concept, and I do, however, I feel as though the front end of it is a bit eerily similar to the Marines' rifle from the Aliens franchise. This is not necessarily a bad thing as it does look cool, but it's also not really a good thing as we don't want to look like we're copying anything from them (or any other movie or game for that matter). However, I quite like what you've come up with on the back end of the rifle: the shape of the stock and the bullpup-like grip with a finger hole would imply that the weapon is very heavy and cumbersome and would have to be placed under the armpit, not up against the shoulder. It's different and kinda cool, and I like that. I do also like that the top of the weapon protrudes some to suggest some sort of optics or ammo display, even if that is a little overdone in the sci-fi shooter genre. (Maybe we could come up with our own twist on that idea?)

2. I feel as though the canisters are misplaced on this concept, simply because IRL they'd be awkward and in the way, when there's nothing to suggest that they could not be arranged somewhere more sensible, such as parallel to the rifle's length. I can't say I particularly care for the stock on this, either.

3. I love the stock on this as well, but I don't care for the grip frame. I would think something a little more natural would be in order, like what you have on the other concepts. As with concept #2, I feel as though the canisters are out of place.

4. Looks awesome! The only thing I can think of to say is that perhaps it should have a trigger guard, and perhaps the trigger should be located further back so that the shooter doesn't need giant hands (or extra long fingers) to wield it, or extend the grip forward some to meet the trigger.

Also, while I've bashed on the canisters some, part of me would like to think that there should be something to suggest that these are energy-based weapons and not projectile-based aside from the absence of a magazine well. Perhaps a canister located to the side (so that it is at least not obscuring the shooter's line of sight) or one that is inserted into the weapon?

All in all, I do have to say great work, though!

chris
Modeler

Post by chris »

#4 < super awesome

Ishq
Project Head

Post by Ishq »

Agreed. I like the sleekness of number four.

kenanJ
Concept Artist

Post by kenanJ »

another wip

The attachment lasgun.jpg is no longer available
Attachments
lasgun.jpg
Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

Wow, great sketches! I love #4, too, but it needs something to shield the trigger for the sake of realism. I like the old version of #4 more than the new one. The grip on the latter doesn't seem useful (too short and bulky) and the fact that the casing is open also doesn't make too much sense for a high tech gun. Keep up the good work!

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

janev
Marauder

Post by janev »

First set: I choose option option 5. Take design # 4 and place an optics hump on top of it (like #1). Then exchange the butt for the one on #3 and add a trigger guard. Also as someone said the distance between the back of the handle and the trigger is too great.

Second set: #3 looks like it would be an awesome fit for some sort of combination weapon! One that shoots different size projectiles from the two barrels. The rest could use some sort of optics imho, but are otherwise quite solid designs. From a real world point of view I have my doubts about those handles (#1) with thumbholes in the buttstock. It's just not ergonomic and fast.

Great work!

velociostrich
Dragoon

Post by velociostrich »

janev wrote:

From a real world point of view I have my doubts about those handles (#1) with thumbholes in the buttstock. It's just not ergonomic and fast.

If you are referring to the shape of the bullpup-style stock, that's something that's been done quite a few times successfully, unless you are referring to the holes further back in the buttstock, in which case I have to say I agree with you that they seem pointless.

1. I like that you've trimmed the front of the weapon down. I think this addresses the issue of the weapon looking like it was from the AvP franchise, as well as making it look much sleeker.

2. Relocating the tanks really makes a difference here, though I can't say that I have a preference for the grip on this iteration versus the previous or vice-versa.

3. This is a significant improvement! However, I could see a dual-barreled weapon like this being used for something else other than the las gun. I like that the rail has been removed from the top, so that you get more of an "optics hump", and the extra definition you've added to the grip frame is great. The only suggestions I could offer would be to experiment with reducing the overall height of the weapon by moving the pair of barrels up, removing the arc shape above the top barrel and making it angular, and make the top of the buttstock smooth so that it would be more comfortable for the shooter to lie their cheek against instead of looking like, well, a box cutter or something.

4. I agree with Viech fully with #4: the checkering doesn't add anything and makes the weapon look "noisy". However, I do like the inset, darker region that you've added on the side of it.

5. I could totally see janev's suggestion for a #5, except I would use the buttstock of #4.

Overall, I think I am still leaning towards #1 or #4, though #3 could be a separate weapon.

janev
Marauder

Post by janev »

See the attached images. The one in the middle of the first image has a thumbhole stock. Second image is a pistol grip which I find most comfortable and usable on a military weapon.

stocks.jpg
stocks.jpg
Attachments
vy7hhz.jpg
Case

Post by Case »

Hey KenanJ, awesome concepts and portfolio :)
Hope I can learn a bit from you,
Cheers!