Dretch

Model animations and effects.
Ishq
Project Head

Re: Animation progress

Post by Ishq »

By the way, I did fix the rant mandible alpha issue, so it looks fine ingame.

gavlig
Animator

Post by gavlig »

Hi guys. Sorry for being an asshole, but i will be occupied till Wednesday again. My supervisors decided that they don't like my thesis at all so i have to fix them. Wednesday is the defense day and i feel that they will not let me free before that date...

Ishq
Project Head

Post by Ishq »

Lol, don't worry about it. Make sure you do well on the thesis though :p

gavlig
Animator

Post by gavlig »

Some weird shit is happening to me(blender or wine or idk) and i can't export any mesh or animation from blender.
I have three theories why this is happening:

1. I used two versions of blender so one of them could screw the file. This theory is slowly fading because i tried to create a new file with new geometry, armature etc but it didn't help.
  2. my current blender version is messed up. That's doubtful two, because neither 2.61 works. nor 2.63a
  3. wine is bitching and modelviewer shows only models i exported one month ago (sounds silly too).

So please, try to view this md5mesh and tell me what you see
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10942488/cube263.md5mesh
that will tell me if my wine is broken so modelviewer doesn't work as it is supposed to

gavlig
Animator

Post by gavlig »

All issues are solved so here goes the new bunch of animations! Unfortunately i don't have time to render them, so too see them you need to use tyrant.pk3dir which is in dropbox directory in assets->gavlig.

Ishq
Project Head

Post by Ishq »

Animations look great. Turn and swim look nice. I think we can say tyrant is complete :) (I think we should hold off on alternative pain and death animations atm)

gavlig
Animator

Post by gavlig »

Ok, what's next then? human?

Ishq
Project Head

Post by Ishq »

I was hoping you could take a look at the acid tube first (it's in velociostrich's folder). It's almost done. Then, yes, the human ;)

gavlig
Animator

Post by gavlig »

http://youtu.be/w9c8U_qLVXY
That is a video of cube being "scaled". As Ishq said, md5 doesn't support actual scaling, but with some tricks and few additional manipulations scaling is possible. I'm moving from Kiev today, so no new animations for now, but i'll try to make some growing animation for acid tube as soon as possible.

velociostrich
Dragoon

Post by velociostrich »

gavlig wrote:

http://youtu.be/w9c8U_qLVXY
That is a video of cube being "scaled". As Ishq said, md5 doesn't support actual scaling, but with some tricks and few additional manipulations scaling is possible. I'm moving from Kiev today, so no new animations for now, but i'll try to make some growing animation for acid tube as soon as possible.

gavlig, I might like to discuss what work I did on the acid tube with you and explain what I was trying to accomplish on IRC in more detail. Yes, scaling is not supported, and the trick I was trying to employ to get around said fact was to weight the ends of the tubes to bones and move and rotate those bones. With the base of the tubes weighted to a "root" bone, the ends would flail about while the bases remained motionless.

`Ishq told me that you noticed that all (actually, not all but most) of the bones are root bones. This was necessary as child bones cannot be moved (as far as I know) relative to their parent, and so this was the only way to pull off the trick I just described.

By the way, I did a fair amount of experimenting in-game with different animation tricks, and some of my test files are on Dropbox (somewhere; it's been a while since I worked on it). In doing so, I noticed some odd behavior: as an example, I seem to recall that modelScale was not scaling the keyframe positions of bones, so if a bone moved from (0,0,0) to (0,0,1), setting modelScale to 2 would yield no difference in the change in z-position. I can't recall what some of the other odd behaviors I noticed were.

If you're going to try a radically different way of animating the model--specifically, redoing the rig and weighting--just please make a copy of my effort in case it proves to be the more feasible approach.

You're a far more proficient animator than I, and I'm sure you already have ideas for alternate ways of animating the model, but I just wanted to let you know what I found.