Adding bots to a dedicated private server.

Get support for Unvanquished.
Viech
Project Head

Re: Adding bots to a dedicated private server.

Post by Viech »

Alternatively append "+set fs_libpath <libpath>" to the command line when starting unvanquished where libpath is the path to the git repository. My command line for starting the source build of unvanquished is like this:

Code: Select all

./daemon +set fs_libpath ~/src/unvanquished +set fs_basepath /opt/unvanquished

~/src/unvanquished is the root of the repository and /opt/unvanquished is the root of the default installation that contains assets and maps.

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

Sabun

Post by Sabun »

You guys are the best!

I have working bots in my own private dedicated server! This is friggin sweet :cool:

To recap for anyone who may read this in the future (myself included):
In my build/main folder, I had to manually make the bots folder.

Then I copied default.bt from Unvanquished-bots2/main/bots and pasted it in Unvanquished-bots2/build/main/bots.

Thanks so much guys for the great assistance and guidance :o

Fuma
Programmer

Post by Fuma »

Saying this now so no one has trouble: I just changed the navigation mesh file format again yesterday.

This was required to support temporary obstacles. The bots should now not get stuck on buildings anymore.
The servers have been updated with this improvement.

Since the navmesh file format changed, you will need new navmeshes.
navmesh-default-0.5.pk3

Sabun

Post by Sabun »

Thanks Fuma, I noticed the alien bots would get stuck at their base in the Nexus6 map. The humans would also get stuck in their walking after a short moment. Only tried the Nexus6 map and ATCSHD at the moment.

Since this is a new nav mesh file, does this mean the bots2 branch has been updated?

Awesome work on the bots by the way, makes the game a lot of fun and good practice :D

P.S: Is the bots2 build not supposed to have the icon for bots? When I hit tab to see the players and bots, there's no bot icon (that chip icon). The icon is visible if I join the NA server from the Ubuntu PPA version. It's just not visible in my own private dedicated server built from the bots2 branch.

ViruS
Granger

Post by ViruS »

chip icon? ?!? Never seen here, especially on the official servers.

ImageImageYou[TubeImage

Sabun

Post by Sabun »

Really? It's that grey chip looking icon to the left of the bots name.

chipicon.jpg

Here's a better view (I hope):

chipicon.jpg

Ops, I meant the Development and Testing server. Not the NA server (my bad).
Had to redownload the Ubuntu PPA version to take the screenshot. I tried to take the screenshot when I hit tab, but I couldn't. The in-game command to take screenshots requires the console to be open, meaning I can't have the game stats open. So, the chip icon is visible on the top left where the bots names are in this picture.

EDIT: Just tried Nexus6 again with the new navmesh-default-0.5.pk3. The bots still get stuck. Aliens are stuck in their spawn point, while the human bots run around near base only. Once they try to go down the stairs, they stop moving all together. I tried pushing them around to see if I could get them to move again but they stay still.

Attachments
chippyicon.jpg
ViruS
Granger

Post by ViruS »

Never seen those before....

ImageImageYou[TubeImage