Battle Suit (1)

Concept artwork for models and maps.
moxiecrimefighter06

Re: BattleSuit WIP Thread

Post by moxiecrimefighter06 »

That is amazing. I have changed mind, instead of doing this for free I now demand to be paid 1.3 million dollars. I take checks. :D
On a more serious note, I have made some torso armor:

Armor_2.2.jpg

Front

Armor_2.2.jpg

Back

Armor_2.2.jpg

On a body
I think that this looks much nicer than the muscle breast plate that I made. I like the long flowing lines and think that it will carry over to the rest of the design. Let me know what you think.

Attachments
Screen shot 2013-01-28 at 12.02.32 AM.jpg
Armor_2.1.jpg
Theyain
Mantis

Post by Theyain »

That looks nice. Especially for an inbetween set of armor (heavy). But I am concerned that it won't translate into a battlesuit type of armor, which is basically a mech.

kharnov
Granger
Clan: GT

Post by kharnov »

Yes, that armor style looks good. The plates fit well with the appearance of our light armor, which has a similar structure. It looks pretty tough, and I'd imagine it can take quite a bit of damage.

Theyain wrote:

That looks nice. Especially for an inbetween set of armor (heavy). But I am concerned that it won't translate into a battlesuit type of armor, which is basically a mech.

Our plan is to have heavy armor and then the battlesuit as something separate. Unlike the old battlesuit, the new one will severely restrict your mobility while giving you superior protection. In heavy armor, you will likely still be able to do things like crouching. We're still debating the exact implementation, and the game mechanics can be discussed at a later date.

If anything, the suit would likely end up having the heavy armor as the lower layer, and the mechanized portions on top that completely seal off all exposed body parts and add additional layers of protection.

moxiecrimefighter06

A quick update. I added a breast-plate and this finishes off the torso. Well the rough forms anyway, lots of tweaking and fine tuning still to be done. Any suggestions/ changes that jump out to you, let me know.

Armor_2.1.1.jpg
Armor_2.1.1.jpg
Attachments
Armor_2.1.2.jpg
kharnov
Granger
Clan: GT

Post by kharnov »

That's coming out nicely. By the way, are you building it off the shape of the human model? Ishq should have sent it to you, I think. I can't quite tell without his familiar textures to remind me. :p

moxiecrimefighter06

Thanks. Yes I am building right on top on the human model.

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

Yes, that looks quite good! Don't hesitate if you want to make it even bulkier, the old tremulous battlesuit was quite heavy. The human should not be able to duck/crouch and can even be higher than the normal human. I personally don't think the latter is necessary but it would be nice if the battlesuit model explains why the human wearing it can't duck.

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

velociostrich
Dragoon

Post by velociostrich »

Viech wrote:

Don't hesitate if you want to make it even bulkier, the old tremulous battlesuit was quite heavy. The human should not be able to duck/crouch and can even be higher than the normal human.

I think we ought to figure out if we want the battlesuit-equipped player to not be able to crouch before moxie gets that far. Also, an explanation as to how the player could not crouch while wearing a not-so-heavy battlesuit: perhaps it's not the bulk of the suit so much as the awkwardness of it that balancing on two feet while crouched would be impossible; too much of a moment at the ankles to resist if you were to begin to tip in any direction.

moxiecrimefighter06

So still plucking away. This time I added shoulders then I decided to play around with the textures in photoshop to get a better idea of what it will look like.

The attachment suit_textures.jpg is no longer available

Is this the direction that you want me to head in for the suit? Is this big enough to be a battle suit, or would you classify this as heavy armor? If it is too small do you want me to finish it anyway and use it as heavy armor? Also what is the status of the concept art? Have you found someone to draw the battle suit or should I just handle the design?

Attachments
suit_textures.jpg
JOURNEYMAN
Dragoon

Post by JOURNEYMAN »

It looks like it would be suitable for a heavy armor. I always imagined battle suit as exo-skeletal power armor. Perhaps humans could have three different armor classes.

Grab reality by the balls and squeeeeze!