Battle Suit (1)

Concept artwork for models and maps.
moxiecrimefighter06

Battle Suit (1)

Post by moxiecrimefighter06 »

I am going to be modeling the BattleSuit just as soon as we hash out a design. I am under the impression that someone else has volunteered to design some concept art for me to base my model on. I don't think that this person has started just so in the mean time I have decided to draw up some concept art of my own.

I am a much better modeler than painter so you will have to forgive the crude nature of my concept sketch. The proportions are off and the shading is atrocious. I am not sure what to do with the hands. Should he have fingers? Or maybe guns? Or does he hold a machine gun? I got pretty lazy on the legs so those could definitely be improved.

The attachment BattleSuit_1.jpg is no longer available

Let me know what you think. What should I change/add?

If someone else is in fact planning on doing the concept art I would like it if you would post what ever you make regarding the BattleSuit in this thread or at least a link. Thank you.

Attachments
BattleSuit_1.jpg
Theyain
Mantis

Re: BattleSuit WIP Thread

Post by Theyain »

I think the best design for the BS's "hands" would be to have a slot in one where the weapon would just integrate into suit.

kharnov
Granger
Clan: GT

Post by kharnov »

The thing with the concept art is that it'll take some time for it to be drawn, but really, the basic design that we want is pretty much something built off the classic Tremulous battlesuit. So, what you've made so far is actually perfectly fine.

I like the color scheme on it, because it looks more modern than the original Tremulous battlesuit, which is exactly what we're going for. Also, it fits in with the colors we have going on elsewhere. When you get to the point of making the textures on the suit, then we'll give you more feedback, but so far, just think of shiny metal with some hints of scuff marks and light amounts of rust. Basically, the "future imperfect" look you might have seen in the original Star Wars movies. It's futuristic, it's high-technology, but something is just a little off. That something can be due to disrupted supply lines, or humans having to reuse the same equipment.

Regarding the hands, I'm with Theyain on this one. The suit would just have a slot on one arm where the weapon integrates into it.

Theyain
Mantis

Post by Theyain »

kharnov wrote:

The thing with the concept art is that it'll take some time for it to be drawn, but really, the basic design that we want is pretty much something built off the classic Tremulous battlesuit. So, what you've made so far is actually perfectly fine.

I feel we should distance ourselves from Trem as much as possible. Building off the looks of the old models does the exact opposite of this. The aliens, for the most part, are rather different then their Trem counter-parts. Even the Tyrant is rather different in shape and design.

kharnov wrote:

I like the color scheme on it, because it looks more modern than the original Tremulous battlesuit, which is exactly what we're going for. Also, it fits in with the colors we have going on elsewhere. When you get to the point of making the textures on the suit, then we'll give you more feedback, but so far, just think of shiny metal with some hints of scuff marks and light amounts of rust. Basically, the "future imperfect" look you might have seen in the original Star Wars movies. It's futuristic, it's high-technology, but something is just a little off. That something can be due to disrupted supply lines, or humans having to reuse the same equipment.

While I like the idea of a rustic, slightly warn looj, Star Wars is most certainly not a good reference for anything related to high technology. Yes, they had light sabers and hyper/warp drives, but the look and design of the series was specifically made to look like a very dystopian, run down society that was/is on the brink of collapse. That's not the design we have been going for so far. A design similar to this is closer to what I've seen us create.

kharnov wrote:

Regarding the hands, I'm with Theyain on this one. The suit would just have a slot on one arm where the weapon integrates into it.

My entire reasoning behind this is so that we don't have to create new models specifically for the BS. If we went with fingers we would need to do that because the fingers would be huge compared to that of the human model.

Ishq
Project Head

Post by Ishq »

I also agree that we shouldn't be using the trem model as a reference. While we don't have an official concept for battlesuit and no one has really made one that everyone has liked, here are some good references:

I also like the idea of having the weapon integrated with the arm.

kharnov
Granger

Post by kharnov »

The first picture linked by Ishq can easily be worked into the design. Exposed cables, for instance.

velociostrich
Dragoon

Post by velociostrich »

Theyain wrote:

I think the best design for the BS's "hands" would be to have a slot in one where the weapon would just integrate into suit.

kharnov wrote:

Theyain wrote:

My entire reasoning behind this is so that we don't have to create new models specifically for the BS. If we went with fingers we would need to do that because the fingers would be huge compared to that of the human model.

I don't see how we will not have to either make new weapon models or modify our existing ones with either big hands or a slot. If there's a slot, how does that mate with the weapons? All the weapon models have grips, not Morse tapers. Also, big hands does not necessarily have to mean freaking huge; they could be just small enough to hold the existing weapons.

Now, if we do go the "slot" route, I could imagine the weapons being made to look somewhat modular, where they all fit into the same sort of weapon port, perhaps. I do think that the current weapons would look stupid if attached to the wrist of a battlesuit-equipped human. Metroid has shown that having the entire forearm be integrated into a weapon can look pretty good, though, but for some weapons, that would pretty much require a redesign.

kharnov wrote:

The first picture linked by Ishq can easily be worked into the design. Exposed cables, for instance.

Lots of cables and hoses could be problematic to rig. In particular, think about if the range of motion of a joint where you have them would cause them to "pinch".

kharnov
Granger

Post by kharnov »

Any news on the suit, moxie?

moxiecrimefighter06

kharnov I agree that something like exposed cables would look good but they could be problematic to animate. What do you think of something like this:

3d0102.jpg

I am looking at the under suit in this image. I think something like this would be cool. If you guys agree I will get started on it today. I have experimented with a few ways to make this under suit and they are all pretty tedious so i would like some feedback before I get started. Do you guys like the idea of an under suit? I know most of this under suit will be covered by armor but I want to push this model as far as I can. The idea that i have in my mind would be a combination of that image and this:

3d0102.jpg

I like the look of lines running along the muscle groups. What do you think?
Just to reiterate this will be mostly covered by armor It would just be poking through in a few places like the first pic ishq posted.

Attachments
Crynet_nanosuit.jpg
moxiecrimefighter06

THis is my first test of the muscle thingies.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]245[/ATTACH]
I am liking the look of this but I wounder if the tubes are too round? Also I think he should have hands. They don't to be huge or maybe the glove is designed to be smaller around the trigger finger. Let me know what you think.