Battle Suit (1)

Concept artwork for models and maps.
Khaoz
Graphic Designer

Re: BattleSuit WIP Thread

Post by Khaoz »

JOURNEYMAN wrote:

It looks like it would be suitable for a heavy armor. I always imagined battle suit as exo-skeletal power armor. Perhaps humans could have three different armor classes.

Thats actually a pretty good idea.
It would almost be like the bsuit, but would offer less defense and you would have the ability to crouch.

kharnov
Granger
Clan: GT

Post by kharnov »

Khaoz wrote:

Thats actually a pretty good idea.
It would almost be like the bsuit, but would offer less defense and you would have the ability to crouch.

We already decided we'd add heavy armor. We're just figuring out the implementation, but that's for later.

moxiecrimefighter06 wrote:

So still plucking away. This time I added shoulders then I decided to play around with the textures in photoshop to get a better idea of what it will look like.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]268[/ATTACH]
Is this the direction that you want me to head in for the suit? Is this big enough to be a battle suit, or would you classify this as heavy armor? If it is too small do you want me to finish it anyway and use it as heavy armor? Also what is the status of the concept art? Have you found someone to draw the battle suit or should I just handle the design?

I would say this is a good direction for heavy armor. If you want to make it into a battlesuit, it would have to be bulked up a little more, and would need a few mechanical components on the limbs and back. On the other hand, if you want to stay with heavy armor for this current model, then that is a good torso piece, and you'd just have to add arm and leg guards, as well as a helmet.

I haven't been able to reach the guy I wanted to make concept art, so if you want, you can handle the design. From what you've posted so far, you're doing a great job of designing armor and taking input, so you're more than welcome to keep doing so.

gavlig
Animator

Post by gavlig »

@moxiecrimefighter06: I like that! But it sure does look more like heavy armor to me. It will be interesting to see where it goes :)

kharnov
Granger

Post by kharnov »

Let's go with heavy armor, then. This can be heavy armor. A variant of the concept can ultimately become the battlesuit.

moxiecrimefighter06

Post by moxiecrimefighter06 »

Update:

Armor_3.1.jpg
Armor_3.1.jpg
Attachments
Armor_3.2.jpg
kharnov
Granger

Post by kharnov »

Coming out great! Definitely looks like it can absorb more damage than our light armor. I can't wait to see it textured, especially with the texture concept you had earlier.

velociostrich
Dragoon

Post by velociostrich »

Like kharnov said, looks awesome. I like that the style you came up is quite a departure from typical futuristic armor designs (dominated by flat metal plates). However, while I personally like the almost Metroid-like shoulder pads (as they add a lot of style), I can't speak for the rest of the team. My concern is that it may be too much of a departure from the style that has so far been established by our new weapons and buildables. (Again, I don't know what others opinions are on the subject.)

What do you think of adding grooves running lengthwise on the upper- and forearm like you have done behind the legs? That, and if the larger shoulder plate part were left but the smaller one underneath of it were omitted, perhaps? (I wouldn't do this with to the same file; just a quick sculpt on a copy of the model--provided that you agree that it may look better, of course.)

moxiecrimefighter06

velociostrich I will definitely give your suggestions a go. I think the grooves could be a great addition. I will try to have a new update with these changes up in the next day or two. If anyone has more suggestions please post them, I would love to have some more input from you guys. And if you guys are not grooving on this design let me know I don't mind giving this bad boy an overhaul. I also plan on working up a model of the battlesuit soon and I am wondering how much bigger it should be then this current model? Also, do you want me to texture and finish the heavy armor right away or should getting the battlesuit going be a bigger priority?

velociostrich
Dragoon

Post by velociostrich »

moxiecrimefighter06 wrote:

Also, do you want me to texture and finish the heavy armor right away or should getting the battlesuit going be a bigger priority?

It may be wise to begin the battlesuit before texturing the heavy armor for the sake of visual consistency (i.e., so what you do with the textures on the armor are not clashing with what you want to do with the battlesuit, or if perhaps the battlesuit starts moving in another direction and you'd like to change the armor to match, then you wouldn't have to throw out texture work.)

moxiecrimefighter06

Here are the changes that velociostrich suggested.

Screen shot 2013-02-06 at 4.00.01 PM.jpg
Screen shot 2013-02-06 at 4.00.01 PM.jpg
Attachments
Screen shot 2013-02-06 at 4.00.14 PM.jpg