Battle Suit (1)

Concept artwork for models and maps.
Ishq
Project Head

Re: BattleSuit WIP Thread

Post by Ishq »

The undersuit can be called heavy armor and can be used without the overlaying "battlesuit" if the user wishes. Then, if he wants the additional armor of a battlesuit, he can choose to use that.

kharnov
Granger
Clan: GT

Post by kharnov »

Hey, that's a good idea. We can have heavy armor, and then a battlesuit can go on top of it. The undersuit you proposed would thus be the heavy armor for the human player, and you can add more armor on top of that.

In this case, yes, let's go with this. If you'd like, we can provide you with the human player model to use as a basis. This way, you can build off its proportions.

moxiecrimefighter06

Post by moxiecrimefighter06 »

That sounds great. Send the model to troythe9ine@yahoo.com

kharnov
Granger
Clan: GT

Post by kharnov »

Alright, Ishq will email it to you later when he gets back from work.

moxiecrimefighter06

Here is another test. It is a chunk of a breast plate.

Screen shot 2013-01-25 at 9.28.15 PM.jpg

What do you guys think of this for the pleating? I am thinking about covering the whole body with these layered plates. The layers are going to fallow the lines in this image.

Screen shot 2013-01-25 at 9.28.15 PM.jpg
Attachments
Muscle_Suit_by_Grollwerk.jpg
velociostrich
Dragoon

Post by velociostrich »

moxiecrimefighter06 wrote:

What do you guys think of this for the pleating? I am thinking about covering the whole body with these layered plates. The layers are going to fallow the lines in this image.

I don't like the idea purely because Crysis already did it. Seriously, the "muscle suit" or whatever you want to call it that the protagonist wears in Crysis pretty much defines the series, so it'd probably come across as "cheap" to players if they saw that our suit looked the same or similar.

Also, I'd like to point out that the one image `Ishq posted earlier of the red suit is basically modeled after the StarCraft II marine (it's very, very close; the artist must've been working from reference images as there's too many identical details to have done it from memory) and something we should also avoid. I'd say to try to think about what it is about different notable (and, more importantly, easily identifiable) video game characters that makes them so. Study the geometry and coloring of Gordon Freeman's HEV suit versus the Master Chief, for example: they're both a mix of sharp corners and curves with a principally low poly count, but the angles are in different places are very different and the colors as completely different. For whatever reason, Unvanquished has acquired a light blue as its signature color, so think about incorporating that.

I think what kharnov said about the "future imperfect" look is a cool area to explore and sort of goes with the precedent set by chris on the turret: his ret isn't too far off what we have now as far as the actual gun part of it is concerned, but the supporting base is something you would not see made today. Along those lines, think about what having hoses on the battlesuit would mean: what business do they have being there!? Surely a hose that must be flexible would be the weakest point of an armored suit, especially if you're facing creatures with giant mandibles and claws -- but perhaps that would make the model interesting, just by having a few in the right place, somewhere they shouldn't be.

moxiecrimefighter06

I went ahead and gave the muscle suit a go:

heavy_armor_4.jpg
heavy_armor_4.jpg

I think it looks kind of cool but the design is all wrong for this game. Velociostrich you are right the muscle suit is the wrong route. I am going to rework the design. Ill try to make something functional that could potentially exist as armor in the future. What do you think of an augmented muscle system like this:

heavy_armor_4.jpg

Could be a cool addition to the design.

Attachments
Armor_1_color.jpg
Armor_1.jpg
velociostrich
Dragoon

Post by velociostrich »

moxiecrimefighter06 wrote:

What do you think of an augmented muscle system like this:

That is indeed very cool! By the way, powersuits like the concept you posted has been worked on for years and evidently is now commercially available. You might find inspiration looking at real-life ones--some of them are pretty wild. Now, you would probably have to add small amounts of armor in places to explain how wearing a power suit (or whatever you want to call it) makes the player capable of taking more damage, but I think it could probably be done convincingly. (I'd like to hear some other opinions on this.)

As an aside, the idea of a suit that enhances the physical strength of the player makes me wonder if perhaps Battlesuit-equipped players should be able to weird certain weapons that they would not otherwise be able to carry (i.e., due to weight). Of course, you'd have to offset the additional power of any such weapons with limited ROF or ammo capacity or whatever (or do the reverse: absurdly high ammo capacity and low damage). (If anyone thinks this sounds interesting, please discuss this in another thread so that we don't derail this one.)

gavlig
Animator

Post by gavlig »

wow, that concept is nice indeed! @velociostrich: I think no more plates needed, since the whole body is already covered with them(if i read concept correctly). And I like the idea of weapon that could be carried only with battlesuit, you should make another discussion thread for that ;)

Khaoz
Graphic Designer

Post by Khaoz »

velociostrich wrote:

That is indeed very cool! By the way, powersuits like the concept you posted has been worked on for years and evidently is now commercially available.

Yeah dude you can buy mech suits now that have gattling guns that shoot BB bullets.

phpBB [video]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... 9MD29ekoKI[/video]

for a low low price of around $1.3 million...