Trapper

Model animations and effects.
CKid

Trapper

Post by CKid »

Hey everyone,
I did some super rough animations today. Just wanted to show you guys for feedback and to make sure I'm going in the right direction. I'll do some more later on. Any comments would be much appreciated, thanks. I did Idle, Attack, Hit, two different types of death. Am I missing any? i think i'm missing one more.
I still haven't found a way to export the files into md5, but I might as well work on some animation while figuring it out. Any suggestions for exporting would be much appreciated.
Cron- I tried exporting to pks and pka, but i only could bring the model into blender, the animation didnt follow.

Trapper Idle

phpBB [video]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjKt9Roo91M[/video]

Trapper Attack -
How fast are his attacks, like if he were to attack a target without pause? does he only shoot? or does he melee too?

phpBB [video]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qknM80wWKs[/video]

Trapper Hit

phpBB [video]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFjfHcknLv0[/video]

Trapper Deaths Two different kinds
Which one should I be using? I know the trapper can be on walls, but can he be on the ground too? How would i deal with the random height ingame for the fall?

Death 1

phpBB [video]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lGIiK4t ... e=youtu.be[/video]

Death 2

phpBB [video]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnMeskMM ... e=youtu.be[/video]

Thanks. Remember, these are super rough, so it'll be really easy to make changes to any one them.

ps. Seems like the embed doesnt work, not sure how to do it:P

Theyain
Mantis

Re: Trapper rough animation

Post by Theyain »

The attacked and death animations are very fast. Too fast IMO

kharnov
Granger
Clan: GT

Post by kharnov »

Theyain wrote:

The attacked and death animations are very fast. Too fast IMO

Yeah, they should be slowed down a little. The motions themselves look fine, though.

For now, use the death animation where the trapper dies while attached to the wall. When we add bullet physics later, we'll have ragdoll support, and then the trapper can fall off by its own.

I like how the spikes on the tail all reflexively twitch when the trapper is injured. Nice touch.

As for your question, the trapper only fires things, it never attacks in melee. It has a delay of a couple of seconds between each firing of its blob.

Regarding what you're missing, I think you only need to make a construction animation, where it comes to life for the first time.

CKid

Post by CKid »

Alright cool, thanks.
Ya, that can be fixed easily, wasn't sure how fast you guys wanted him to die.
As for construction, does he pop out of an egg?
I'll throw something together over the weekend, and make the adjustments.
Thanks.

kharnov
Granger

Post by kharnov »

No, he doesn't come out of an egg. While the built timer is going down, he slowly increases in mass until reaching full size. I would say the construction animation should have him flex his arms out, and perhaps shake his tail a little, even if it's just the spikes at the end. It's less of a "construction" animation and more like the trapper saying "I'm alive!" or something along the lines of that. Of course, the trapper doesn't actually speak.

gavlig
Animator

Post by gavlig »

Hey! For an example of construction animation you can check acid tube here http://youtu.be/k-J0W8t2rfI?t=38s It doesn't have to be this way necessarily, it's just an option :) Besides slowing down some animations, i'd say that you're doing more than fine!

Ishq
Project Head

Post by Ishq »

Wow, this was quick! Great work in getting these done so quickly.
My thoughts (hopefully they don't sound too nitpicky):

Idle animation: The idle animation moves around too much. The idle animation plays when the trapper is not doing anything, and the idea is for it to basically "drift" as if it is just relaxing and doing nothing. Your animation feels like the trapper is moving with a purpose.

Attack: Yeah, as others have said, it should be slowed down a little. I would suggest experimenting with the trapper ingame to get a sense of how it shoots so you can time it properly. Another thing, the trapper shoots up not forward, so, that's something to keep in mind.

Pain: Nice.

Death animations: We'll require 3, one for each case: ceiling, ground, wall. The appropriate one will be played based on the location of the trapper. These look pretty good too.

All in all, nice job.

CKid

Post by CKid »

kharnov: alright, ill try some things out.
gavlig: oh, cool thanks! amazing reel by the way.
Ishq: Nitpicky is good! I was trying out the rig, never animated with just the joints before, new to me.
attack - no problem, how do you build a trapper ingame? i keep getting killed XD. as for shooting up, does that mean if hes on the ceiling, he'll be shooting downwards, on the wall, straight and on the ground up (like it shoots up into the air in a arc and comes down on the enemy?)
Death - should i just animate the death part and not the falling?

Thanks guys for feedback.

Ishq
Project Head

Post by Ishq »

attack: Yeah, basically. But, we'll only need one animation regardless.
death: Pretty much.

As for building a trapper in game: You need to be stage 2, spawn advance granger, click, double click on trapper, and click to place. Switch teams to humans and run into its range. I suggest you build a trapper on the wall or a ceiling. You can climb on walls and ceilings as an advanced granger by pressing "c".

kharnov
Granger

Post by kharnov »

I felt genuine pity for that poor, dead trapper flopping around on the floor. :(

.. but that's a good thing!