Marauder

Models and textures for players, weapons and buildables.
Viech
Project Head

Re: Marauder Model

Post by Viech »

Ishq wrote:

We plan to use claws to attack (hence the choppers).

I know, still the mouth should look like an organ used to eat stuff, not like something only used to fear the shit out of humans. ;)

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

Osiris
Modeler

Post by Osiris »

I had talked to cron about the whole mouth/teeth thing, i was told to keep it close to what the concept was. But that being said I saw the teeth existing inside the the gum line that is already there. That way it would be a pretty crazy animation if we could get it when he roars/screams you could see the teeth but also those....I guess you could call them lips....flap around a bit.

I could make those points into teeth if that is what we want. I do enjoy the angles of the mouth line tho

Now that you guys pointed out the head its all I can see lol, personally I like the 3 sets of eyes, rather alien I think, but I do believe that his forehead is to broad and his jawline comes to low, making his head rather large.

I will update soon

gavlig
Animator

Post by gavlig »

can't wait!

velociostrich
Dragoon

Post by velociostrich »

Viech wrote:

Keep in mind we would like to stay close to (or ideally retain) the old hitbox of 50x50x38...

I think I would have to disagree with you on that. Imo, our old purely AABB hit detection should be replaced with something better (at a minimum, non-axially aligned bounding boxes) for this and other reasons.

EDIT:

janev wrote:

With the six eyes I feel drunk looking at it.

Exactly this. As my eyes scan from the top of the head downward, I see the first set of eyes, but because of how anthropomorphic the head is (I think because of the slope of the forehead and the angular sockets as opposed to "beady" eyes), my brain expects to see a mouth just below said pair of eyes, but finds instead another pair of eyes. Then another pair. Then the mouth.

While the mouth is intimidating (and please, forgive me if I am being too harsh here) it seems more to be the shape of something you'd expect to find as a scary halloween mask than on an otherworldly creature. I know you stated that you were told to go with the concept art, and you seem to have done so pretty faithfully, but it would seem that we should re-evaluate that part of the concept.

kharnov
Granger
Clan: GT

Post by kharnov »

What if we did what we did with the tyrant, and have two frontal, visible eyes and the other two pairs are smaller and to the sides?

janev
Marauder

Post by janev »

Something needs to be done about the eyes and maybe the mouth as well. For the eyes something like what kharnov suggested would be an good solution. The eyes on the wolf spider come to mind.

The attachment Wolf Spider 5-29-08 7eyes.JPG is no longer available

For the mouth it should be open and showing off the teeth inside. Also I'd like something that looks like it could be used to eat stuff. As it is now it looks like it would do a lot of damage but wouldn't be so great for eating. If these changes make the forehead stick out in a funny way you can always give it some ridges (similar to what the klingons have in star trek).

On a totally unrelated note the marauder, with its hard forehead and armored back, looks like it would just love to have a special attack where it curls up into a ball and rams shit.

http://i.imgur.com/qIdQ9.jpg <- Original marauder concept art.

Attachments
Wolf Spider 5-29-08 7eyes.JPG
velociostrich
Dragoon

Post by velociostrich »

janev wrote:

On a totally unrelated note the marauder, with its hard forehead and armored back, looks like it would just love to have a special attack where it curls up into a ball and rams shit.

I could see this being a thing. Worthy of further discussion in another thread?

Khaoz
Graphic Designer

Post by Khaoz »

velociostrich wrote:

I could see this being a thing. Worthy of further discussion in another thread?

Yeah zap sucks, we need something like this!

phpBB [video]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TctysXyh72w[/video]

velociostrich
Dragoon

Post by velociostrich »

@Khaoz, I don't want to derail this thread from providing Osiris feedback any more, but you just made my day with that.

Khaoz
Graphic Designer

Post by Khaoz »

velociostrich wrote:

@Khaoz, I don't want to derail this thread from providing Osiris feedback any more, but you just made my day with that.

Oh uhh yeah feedback...

You should totally give it a tail, lizard like, or like this even (but maybe not as long, and yes I know pangolins aren't lizards). From what I saw in the original concepts the random ending to it's behind didn't look great.