Arm based server?

Talk about anything related to Unvanquished.
m00t

Arm based server?

Post by m00t »

I am creating a few tutorials for cloud based game deployment and am looking at Unvanquished as the subject game. I am hoping to try a few things out:

1) Run the Unvanquished server on Arm compute. This is to keep server costs low and can likely run in "free" cloud services if this can be done.
2) Use OpenMatch player matching. Not sure if Unvanquished has tournament play but if it simply can match players for a server, that would be fine.
3) Use Agones as a scale server and to help with the OpenMatch system. I can show distribution of matched players to a server. I know there are not a lot of players but this is for training and testing and not production.
4) Finally, if possible, run the client on cloud based GPUs. I was originally looking for something based on UE4/5 so I could pixel streaming, but I think I can get a client running in VDI. This is just a stretch.

Thoughts on the above?

Moot

illwieckz
Project Head

Re: Arm based server?

Post by illwieckz »

Hi m00t!

I can give some answers for 1.

Unfortunately the Unvanquished game/the Daemon engine doesn't build on arm because we are still stuck on the NaCl (Native Client) technology for our virtual machine and since NaCl was made obsolete by WebAssembly, development on NaCl stalled. We have an ongoing work to port our engine to WebAssembly that would get rid of such limitations but that's not done yet (and estimated time of arrival is still unknown).

I wonder how much the game would run on things like box64. It is known our x86_64 builds run fine on arm-based Apple M1 using Rosetta2, so maybe something like box64 can do the trick, I don't know.

Note: even trying to run a native server game code wouldn't work on arm because the engine still needs to build some NaCl bits for our virtual machine architecture.

This comment is licensed under cc ​​by 4 and antecedent.

m00t

Re: Arm based server?

Post by m00t »

Will try box64 and get back! Thanks for the quick reply.

M00t