[mod]Experimental Gameplay

Release and discuss things you've made, including mods.
illwieckz
Project Head

Re: [mod]Experimental Gameplay

Post by illwieckz »

Gireen wrote:
illwieckz wrote:

penalization of not recovering previously spent evos

There is no limitation in devolving yet. :confused:
Seems like devolving to granger or dretch returns 0 mps but all other classes return the spend points.

I see, I only tested devolving to granger/dretch. I just tested the update that requires the devolving to be done near overmind, that seems good. Is there any branch somewhere? :smile:

This comment is licensed under cc ​​by 4 and antecedent.

illwieckz
Project Head

Post by illwieckz »

Maybe tell the player is too far from overmind instead of telling the location is too far from base, this looks like a legit forward base (with egg, etc.). Note: devolve. :smile:

Also, this is very confusing: :grin:

Gireen
Graphic Designer
Clan: [DoH]

Post by Gireen »

Now it works as intended.
https://github.com/Gireen/Unvanquished/tree/devolve

The next problem are the bots. It would be nice if they could build there base and repair it. I read that Bot could do this earlier but i cant find any code related to that.

The general bot behavior could also be a bit improved. What annoys me is that especial aliens only try suiciderushs without retreating.
For 1on1 would it be interesting to add smaller maps that are also better to use for the bots.

fear ma engrish :granger:

illwieckz
Project Head

Post by illwieckz »

Gireen wrote:

Now it works as intended.
https://github.com/Gireen/Unvanquished/tree/devolve

Great!

The next problem are the bots. It would be nice if they could build there base and repair it. I read that Bot could do this earlier but i cant find any code related to that.

I'm not sure this even existed. I remember some talks about making the bots rebuilding the default layout, perhaps there was experiments sitting in some repo but I really don't remember.

The general bot behavior could also be a bit improved. What annoys me is that especial aliens only try suiciderushs without retreating.
For 1on1 would it be interesting to add smaller maps that are also better to use for the bots.

One thing that really annoys me is they're true aimbot, which makes flamer very deadly in their hand and the fact the alien never miss while being very close is very unfair. It would be fair if they had some random miss rate. Or, if that already exists, having it more customized, per weapon. Another thing I think about is not only random miss rate that may probably already exist, but also random delay between shots. Perfect reload timing combined with perfect aiming makes them a lot looking like bots, and that efficiency is not cool.

Gireen
Graphic Designer

Post by Gireen »

when adding a bot you can set the skill that determines the aiming, witch at is worst lets bots shoot at the ceiling :bugeyes:
Efficiency nails it quiet good. Always the shortest path etc.
So we need the bots do some silly stuff :grin:

illwieckz
Project Head

Post by illwieckz »

Gireen wrote:

So we need the bots do some silly stuff :grin:

So they would look more real. :grin:

One annoying thing is that they basically know “where you are” at any time, they seem to rush to the path you use, you can't really surprise them, except if you manage to not touch the floor, which is hard as human.

One good thing would be to make bot to somewhat follow human players by default. Like if there is three bots, at least one follows you, two roams randomly, and they would exchange their role sometime. If there is a base to defend, the one following you let the roaming ones retreating and do the defend and repair job. Note that even without humans to follow, not all have to retreat, it's annoying to see bots retreating as soon as someone scratch a bit one building.

Gireen
Graphic Designer

Post by Gireen »

You can surprise bots if they don't see you. As alien i can follow human bots around without them noticing until they take damage. :advgranger:
But after the fist encounter they seem to always know your location.

Maybe the beacons could be a way to interact with bot teammates.

Bots don't return to base to defend it. :confused:
That's at least what the behaviorTree says. And there seem to be something broken too. Bots don't repair the base and aliens don't heal them self.
It seems like they have problems to recognizing there own team buildings. Wen i tell a human to go to the overmind he has no problem but a alien will just stand still as if there where no overmind.

illwieckz
Project Head

Post by illwieckz »

Gireen wrote:

Maybe the beacons could be a way to interact with bot teammates.

I wish that for so many years…

illwieckz
Project Head

Post by illwieckz »

I also appreciate the fast building alien in Experimental, that's make the game more satisfying, which is good for a game.

Gireen
Graphic Designer

Post by Gireen »

I think its more something for a smaller update after 0.52.

For once i am not sure if it is a good idea.
In games with low player count its definitive good but with more players a dedicated builder reduces the positive effects.
The process of waiting to continue building could also be needed for a positive build experience. ( sounds silly but waiting is also a game :bugeyes: ).
There is the problem with griefing or lack of communication. With the build queue a single builder can use up all available build points in a matter of seconds.
Then there are the miners witch, now even more easy spammed around the map, can turn into a Sisyphus work to destroy in late game.
And finally there is also the technical problem that the "growth" of buildings doesn't work anymore. The client calculates the growth based on the build time (when its placed) and the build time (how long construction takes) from the config. So at the moment growth is removed on Experimental with the build queue.

Regarding the theme of this topic, making the game more fun with less players. its still making bots better at the moment. :yawn:
In irc was mentioned to have some sort of PvE similar to the old training server.
I think that will probably be the best way to go having humans play against a team of bots or just along with two bot teams playing against each other.
With the different to now that bots would play a "normal" game as close to how it would work with humans.
Witch means building and basic tactics like camping (defending :smile: ) or cooperative attacks.
For something like that i think some kind of rts ai that manages a team would be useful.
Since its exactly what happens in other rts only games.
Base building, moving of units, resource management, expansion, attacking, defending etc