Shrike (2)

Models and textures for players, weapons and buildables.
Viech
Project Head

Shrike (2)

Post by Viech »

Unfortunately, the previous attempt on the flying alien failed due to technical issues with the export, so the model needs to be redone. Here's concept art made by Alex a while ago:

Feel free to either read the thread on the previous model for inspiration and random bits of feedback or simply work off the image above. As always I'll give feedback whenever an update is posted. :smile:

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

kharnov
Granger
Clan: GT

Re: Shrike (2)

Post by kharnov »

Here's a screenshot with a better reference you can use for the head. This is the mantis alien, and their heads are supposed to be of a similar shape, so it's a bit easier to see how the head looks than in the 2D concept.

gavlig
Animator

Post by gavlig »

what kind of difficulties are we talking here? Maybe it'd be easier to deal with them instead of make a new model from scratch?

kharnov
Granger
Clan: GT

Post by kharnov »

The prior attempt would need significant re-texturing and the head looked very ambiguous. We'd like to do it fresh with a better head and texture.

Cupside
Modeler

Post by Cupside »

If you want I can uoload the zbrush sculpt.

illwieckz
Project Head

Post by illwieckz »

Just to say I was never very happy with the original concept. I don't know why, but the long body and the whole shape looks weird to me. I liked some details in Cupside's brushwork (like the head), but I'm just not happy with the underlying concept itself. So if someone wants to submit a new concept I'm open to this.

This comment is licensed under cc ​​by 4 and antecedent.

illwieckz
Project Head

Post by illwieckz »

Perhaps we can explore other ways, a bit like that for the head (we can do it with 3 horns like a triceratops):
and the body less beetle-like, but not long, perhaps something with a granger shape but a granger appearance (hard and articulated carapace).

See also Ryzom’s artworks for instectoid monsters thread for some possible inspiration (I like a lot the monoceratops granger). They probably not fit as-is but they can inspire people a lot.

Why not something like that but with three horns on head and real working wings?

Were are not forced to explore insect-like flying model by the way.

This comment is licensed under cc ​​by 4 and antecedent.