Dretch headbite

Post any feedback you have about the game here.
lamefun
Tyrant

Dretch headbite

Post by lamefun »

Comet_ wrote:
  1. The system feels too basic. What I mean by that assertion is that aliens become all about movement instead of aim and movement; it just feels like it's making every dretch the same even if one is incredibly better than the other. I like being rewarded for exceptional aim and being punished when my aim is less than quality because it makes sense in a FPS setting.

Except there's little "skill" involved in performing dretch head bite other than looking up.

There's a big difference between being good at something and not knowing that it can be done in the first place. This is the essence of elitism.

Viech wrote:

I think that we can balance the speed of humans without the stamina limitation.

If you are going to implement this, please remove strafe-jumping, that'd make humans just as elitist as aliens were due to dretch head bites, as new players will not be able to keep up with the rest of the team and will die all the time and then quit.

Comet_
Mantis

Re: Feedback on gameplay changes

Post by Comet_ »

lamefun wrote:
Comet_ wrote:
  1. The system feels too basic. What I mean by that assertion is that aliens become all about movement instead of aim and movement; it just feels like it's making every dretch the same even if one is incredibly better than the other. I like being rewarded for exceptional aim and being punished when my aim is less than quality because it makes sense in a FPS setting.

Except there's little "skill" involved in performing dretch head bite other than looking up.

There's a big difference between being good at something and not knowing that it can be done in the first place. This is the essence of elitism.

You two-bite-kill me in a 1v1 and I'll eat my words. As a dretch, tracking is just as important as movement and being able to track an enemy perfectly makes every movement more potent. Headbiting is not easy; even players that know of its place in the game aren't good at it. With wall crawling in the game, killing a human in two hits is tough unless you surprise them.

And headbiting is very much intuitive. I see new players all the time preferring to jump bite over staying on the floor. My real life friend who hasn't played the game in 6 years was headbiting before he knew the dretch's name.

lamefun
Tyrant

Post by lamefun »

Comet_ wrote:

As a dretch, tracking is just as important as movement and being able to track an enemy perfectly makes every movement more potent

How would it not be important if there were no head bite?

Comet_ wrote:

With wall crawling in the game, killing a human in two hits is tough unless you surprise them.

And if you don't know that you can head bite, you'll have lots of trouble even if you surprise them.

Comet_ wrote:

And headbiting is very much intuitive.

Of course some people figure it out on their own, but it doesn't mean that it's good, I've played some games with new players where I stood in place and it still took them lots of time to kill me.

Comet_
Mantis

Post by Comet_ »

lamefun wrote:
Comet_ wrote:

As a dretch, tracking is just as important as movement and being able to track an enemy perfectly makes every movement more potent

How would it not be important if there were no head bite?

Sure, you are right. Both would make it important. I just felt that simplifying dretch attacks even more would make it too lame.

lamefun wrote:
Comet_ wrote:

With wall crawling in the game, killing a human in two hits is tough unless you surprise them.

And if you don't know that you can head bite, you'll have lots of trouble even if you surprise them.

Hopefully, Viech's new solution might be of help in that department.

lamefun wrote:
Comet_ wrote:

And headbiting is very much intuitive.

Of course some people figure it out on their own, but it doesn't mean that it's good, I've played some games with new players where I stood in place and it still took them lots of time to kill me.

Nothing a tool tip or a quick line in the tutorial UI couldn't fix. But is it worth removing a fun part of the game just because it isnt immediately apparent to some who play? Maybe even a quake-esque line after death saying "You were killed by Comet's headbite/rifle/trample" could aid in this problem.