Re: Battlesuit

Post by gavlig »

ping `Ishq

kharnov
Granger
Clan: GT

Post by kharnov »

He said to ping you. What are we waiting on from him?

gavlig
Animator

Post by gavlig »

gavlig
Animator

Post by gavlig »

So, more issues

1. Fix logging in on forums, please, i have to type my login and password twice, first on the forum main page and then again on a login page for some unknown reason.
  2. I'm not crazy and i'm sure i've check that fucking checkbox fucking hundred times "REMEMBER MY FUCKING PASSWORD YOU CUNT!" But it ignores me completely, just like you `Ishq ignore these forums.

ok now, seriously. I've checked out lean branch and it seems that your fixes removed leaning when player goes forward/backward.

1. When i jump in any direction player leans back :) I think it's animation blending, it screws up the position of bone "hips" which is the first one in the set of legBones in character.cfg

2. Player's left arm clips through body when i rotate camera up and down, i think it's also a blending issue, It just generally goes out of sync with the right hand.

3. I've altered "hips" bone rotation in delta for psaw ("psaw_delta") animation but it doesnt get applied though changes on arm bones get applied. Surprise(!), i think it's blending again.
    4, blaster_delta still doesnt get applied, i got desperate and made a "psaw_delta" and it worked, but motherfucking blaster_delta motherfucking doesnt. Maybe i'm blind and i named it wrong, i dunno.

Adjusting weapon position and having to reload a game everytime, typing in all the "/give all /give momentum 100500 cg_thirdPerson 180 cg_thirdPersonAngle 270 cg_thirdPersonRange 60" makes me feel like i'm jerking off and just wasting my time. Sersiously, i'd rather jerk off.

Thank you!

p.s.
here is a video with my rant, but beware, it contains a lot of crap!
https://youtu.be/pYn7E-qMVBI

gavlig
Animator

Post by gavlig »

<gavlig_work> hey, just wanted to point out that we'll need to apply a few deltas at once almost all the time
<gavlig_work> player always has his camera in a position different from "looking straight forward", there will always be some weapon delta
<Ishq> Yeah, got that.
<
Ishq> Instead of two animations joined together badly, it will be 1 base animation + modifier deltas (attack, taunt, lean, etc)
<gavlig_work> well, i don't think that taunt can be a delta
<gavlig_work> as long as we keep our deltas one frame long
<gavlig_work> or, if you want, we could go and try to make it a delta as well
<gavlig_work> but then you'll have to make deltas work when they are not the same length as the reference animation
<gavlig_work> but attack and lean animations -- yes. the stack would be like "idle reference + weapon delta + leaning + optional shit depending on current player action"
<gavlig_work> no, that's not right actually. instead of "idle reference" there would be that current player action: idle, walk, run etc
<gavlig_work> without deltas with variable length only taunts might look weird. but i have an idea for that too :) and you still won't have to implement not-1-frame-long-deltas. you can use delta as a mask that defines which bones should be affected by taunt animation and which shouldnt
<gavlig_work> so if value on a bone from delta calculated with idle animation on frame 0 is also 0 then we don't apply taunt on that bone and play walking/running/crouching/idle animation
<Ishq> right
<
Ishq> I think all deltas need to be made from the idle animation. And as you say, deltas are merely a mask of what should be applied.
<Ishq> The question is
<
Ishq> Should we blend the base animation and the deltas
<Ishq> Or should we we replace the base animation's bones with the delta's bones
<gavlig_work> wow wow wow
<gavlig_work> deltas being masks is the case for taunts only
<gavlig_work> and that's what i came up with a few minutes ago
<
Ishq> Wellll
<gavlig_work> in other cases deltas are modifiers, array of values you add to the current animation in every frame
<Ishq> Hmm
<
Ishq> Blended in?
<gavlig_work> yes

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

The hands going up and down when you tilt perspective is due to the character's aim going up and down which in turn is due to the idea that you should be able to control the character in third person perspective. Maybe the jumping issue is related. You could check by recording yourself doing these tricks in first person perspective and then watch the demo.

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

gavlig
Animator

Post by gavlig »

nah, it's `Ishq's cheats, he knows about them

cu-kai
Web Crew
Clan: CU

Post by cu-kai »

gavlig wrote:

So, more issues

1. Fix logging in on forums, please, i have to type my login and password twice, first on the forum main page and then again on a login page for some unknown reason.
  2. I'm not crazy and i'm sure i've check that fucking checkbox fucking hundred times "REMEMBER MY FUCKING PASSWORD YOU CUNT!" But it ignores me completely, just like you `Ishq ignore these forums.

I've bugged `Ishq about this so many times I am bored of doing so.

You don't have to type your password in on the forum login page, just click "login" and you'll be redirected regardless.

This should help:

<cu-kai> granger, remind `Ishq about fixing the forum login every 1d
<granger> okay

Web Raccoon

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

I would actually read the forums ten times as often if I wasn't logged out every day.

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

Ishq
Project Head

Post by Ishq »

Hey gavlig,

Sorry for my extended absence. I think I need to reconsider our original plan for what I can accomplish. I don't think I can rewrite most of the animation system at this time. Last night, after looking at the what's left, I found the following action items

• Add FPS multiplier in the character.cfg for walk/run cycles [Ishq]

• Provide Delta animations for the hands [gavlig]

• Derive relationships between the hands for proper gun placement [Ishq]

Let me know if you have any issues with the game so I can fix them. Let's try to close this out by the end of the year.