Base Locations

Talk about anything related to Unvanquished.
seana11
Tyrant

Re: Base Locations

Post by seana11 »

Ishq wrote:

The screenshots? It looks like he is running the game with an extremely high r_picmap value.

Eh, I have quality on low so that it will run on my slow computer (which is what I did the screenshots on). The only other video option I changed was brightness.

danmal

Post by danmal »

Hmm... I assumed it was just you compressing your pics. I hope Unvanquished doesn't look like that while you're playing.

seana11
Tyrant

Post by seana11 »

Yes, I think that's compression (Though those are in the default quality settings). It's much less pixelated.

ViruS
Granger

Post by ViruS »

Those are jpeg images, they lose pixel-perfect quality when saving.
My trem looks worse than that, r_picmip 3 gives me a loading time of about 100 seconds.

I disagree with starting with a forward base. That gives humans too much advantage. Though i like the new default main area(s).
Note the hitbox of the armoury is actually isn't rectangular, the turret in the corner may not be able to aim at the medistat easily. Put sv_cheats on by doing /devmap, and when building your base use cg_drawbbox 1 which shows you the boundry boxes of most things (it shows you the flamer missile although, doesn't shhow you the luci missile)
It should help you find your blind spots.

Asvarox
Mantis

Post by Asvarox »

ViruS wrote:

I disagree with starting with a forward base. That gives humans too much advantage.

First, what's wrong with humans giving themselves an advantage? If aliens can't stop them...
Second, humans tried this move yesterday, the result was that we destroyed their main as there was one ret and almost no humans there and eliminated humans in the hallway starting from the builder.

seana11
Tyrant

Post by seana11 »

Asvarox wrote:

First, what's wrong with humans giving themselves an advantage? If aliens can't stop them...
Second, humans tried this move yesterday, the result was that we destroyed their main as there was one ret and almost no humans there and eliminated humans in the hallway starting from the builder.

Yes, that base can win the game, and it can also lose it. It usually needs a dedicated builder sitting around to repair stuff, and it means that people who would normally head back to the base stop at the forward and head out, which may or may not good, depending on if the main base needs defenses. If your team feeds too much, the aliens can attack your base when you're out, and you'll end up with no RC or nodes. It really just depends on what type of team you have.

JBiscuitz
Mantis

Post by JBiscuitz »

Everytime i build a forward base like this it holds for about 5 minutes. I mostly just slap down a few repeaters in hallways to a) waste aliens time and b) keep the energy weapon users full while destroying a base. If i was allowed one free medi outside base this would be a constant for me (albeit unfair) XD

seana11
Tyrant

Post by seana11 »

JBiscuitz wrote:

Everytime i build a forward base like this it holds for about 5 minutes. I mostly just slap down a few repeaters in hallways to a) waste aliens time and b) keep the energy weapon users full while destroying a base. If i was allowed one free medi outside base this would be a constant for me (albeit unfair) XD

I've gotten it to work once or twice when I have a great team. The key is gauging the balance of the game, and seeing of your team can defend this base. If they can't then build further back in the tunnel.

ViruS
Granger

Post by ViruS »

Question: what in return do aliens have? Middle?

JBiscuitz
Mantis

Post by JBiscuitz »

One egg, one booster, one granger