Dragoon

Models and textures for players, weapons and buildables.
gavlig
Animator

Re: Dragoon

Post by gavlig »

Well, that totally looks better now! I'm looking forward to see textures!

RXMT
Modeler

Post by RXMT »

I'm waiting for Viech to approve the proportions :-)

Should I change the mandibules and try other design? Because now that I look at them, they kinda look like tiny claws...

Are the front claws big enough and positioned correctly, because from what I can see, animating the front claws extending would requires my model to raise on its back legs, or at least inclining its body backward, exposing its belly, what do you think?

-R.

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

To me the proportions look rather good now! Gavlig would have the last word here since he's our lead animator – if he can imagine walking, jumping, pounce and attack animations then all is fine. (And it seems he already likes the current limbs, so unless he reports back with any criticism I guess you could call the proportions done.) :smile:

I still like the mandibles as they are even if one could argue that they look more like nasty claws than actual food consumption tools. The current (big) claws seem to have enough clearance to slash around them, too. I also like the bulky parts of the arms that have the claws attached to them as they can be used to pounce against enemies and push them backwards (which the goon does in-game).

The tips of the feet are a bit thin/spikey. This isn't too well suited for navigating flat metal floors but it may fight the Dragoon's natural habitat so I guess it's fine, given that some day we'll get a fitting scratchy walking sound.

I'm looking forward to the texturing, too!

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

gavlig
Animator

Post by gavlig »

If i'm not too late, i'd ask to try to make his body a bit longer, make claw blades shorter and the mid part of claw make like this:

gavlig
Animator

Post by gavlig »

so he could put them together and use as a shield on pain animations, like covering his face or whatever you call that thing :)

gavlig
Animator

Post by gavlig »

Just to be clear, i drew a front view of the claw shape, not an ass

RXMT
Modeler

Post by RXMT »

Something along those line ? (Body is sligthly longer/wider and front claws are shorter too)

-R.

gavlig
Animator

Post by gavlig »

Ok, i think i'm happy about everything except claw blades which are now too tiny. I mean length is fine, but they really seem fragile. Anyway, just wait for Viech to say his opinion.

RXMT
Modeler

Post by RXMT »

gavlig wrote:

Ok, i think i'm happy about everything except claw blades which are now too tiny. I mean length is fine, but they really seem fragile. Anyway, just wait for Viech to say his opinion.

Yeah I just realized i shortened the claws, but I should have made them wider to compensate, it's a quick change I will correct as soon as I get home this evening

-R.

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

Viech wrote:

I also like the bulky parts of the arms that have the claws attached to them as they can be used to pounce against enemies and push them backwards (which the goon does in-game).

I feel this was good before but now you over-did it by a huge margin. :tongue: I'd revert those to their former size. Also I agree with gavlig with the claws. (Though personally I feel that not their width or size but their roundish shape could be difficult when creating a slashing animation. I'm no animator though.)

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction