Dragoon

Models and textures for players, weapons and buildables.
Viech
Project Head

Re: Male Soldier

Post by Viech »

I'm a bit low on time right now but I'll open the thread soon with more details. For now I can give you a quick overview:

• The Dragoon is a relatively big alien form but more importantly it is very agile: It can pounce over long distances or into great heights. To be honest the old model attempt kharnov posted lacks visual reinforcement of this agility as its feet appear rather clumsy and not really suited for jumping great distances. For that reason I would suggest not to base your concept on this approach too strongly.

• The next smaller alien is the Marauder, the next bigger one is the Tyrant. Feel free to use aspects of both in your concept (you will find that they already share a certain amount of features, which could be shared by the Dragoon, too).

• While our current placeholder goon bites, I'd prefer the new model to slash or otherwise attack with its forearms, claws or the like so that we can have a proper first person attack animation for it.

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

RXMT
Modeler

Post by RXMT »

I'm a bit low on time right now but I'll open the thread soon with more details. For now I can give you a quick overview:

The Dragoon is a relatively big alien form but more importantly it is very agile: It can pounce over long distances or into great heights. To be honest the old model attempt kharnov posted lacks visual reinforcement of this agility as its feet appear rather clumsy and not really suited for jumping great distances. For that reason I would suggest not to base your concept on this approach too strongly.
The next smaller alien is the Marauder, the next bigger one is the Tyrant. Feel free to use aspects of both in your concept (you will find that they already share a certain amount of features, which could be shared by the Dragoon, too).
While our current placeholder goon bites, I'd prefer the new model to slash or otherwise attack with its forearms, claws or the like so that we can have a proper first person attack animation for it.

I have done some body and head sketches of what I had in mind, can someone point me in the right direction concerning the design?

Thanks

kharnov
Granger
Clan: GT

Post by kharnov »

Those are some nice sketches! Wait for Viech to give his word, but as for me personally, I would say that I like body 1 with head 12.

gavlig
Animator

Post by gavlig »

definitely body 1, i like heads 12 and 2

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

Body 1 looks nice. I'm not sure if I like the small claws on the head of 12 but apart from that I think both 5 and 12 look nice. 5 should have three eyes in a row on each side though for greater consistency with the other aliens.

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

kharnov
Granger

Post by kharnov »

I would say head 12 looks the most visually distinct, and the little things on the sides of the mouth are a visual cue to the tyrant.

kharnov
Granger

Dragoon

Post by kharnov »

Moving all of the dragoon posts from the male human soldier topic here.

RXMT
Modeler

Re: Dragoon

Post by RXMT »

I started to work on the head , I used design #12, but made it a littlle bit more bulky, because it seemed cartoonish...

Stil very rough and I can still play with design, details, etc.

should I explore more design for the body?

-R.

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

Compared with the Tyrant the teeth are a bit dominant due to their size but in general I like the head and I think it can fit quite well in line with the other aliens if you manage to put some of the dark chitin armor material on it, too. I was ambivalent about the four mandibles at first but now I think they're quite a neat individual detail.

Another small thing to note about #1 is that the claws are relatively small compared to the legs.

RXMT
Modeler

Post by RXMT »

Scaled down the teeth, played a bit with the position of eyes and cheeks

Also Sketched a body in 3D (everything can easily changed)

I honestly think that 3 pairs of legs and 1 pairs of claws/arms seems a bit much.... Maybe I should just go with 3 pairs max

Maybe make the front pair a hybrid beetween legs and ''arms''?

-R.