Over-detailed icons?

Post all of your progress here about official assets, and receive feedback from our team.
lamefun
Tyrant

Over-detailed icons?

Post by lamefun »

I noticed that the icons of eg. rocket pod, spiker or grenade are over-detailed compared to icons of eg. lasgun, granger and armor.

Viech
Project Head

Re: Over-detailed icons?

Post by Viech »

You noticed correctly. Are you applying for an icon designer position?

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

Nanaa
Dretch

Post by Nanaa »

I made some grenade and fire grenade designs. What do you think?

Star for frag grenade might be unnecessary. Someone might even think it's flash grenade.

EDIT:
Remade them to match other icons better. Here's preview:
Last edited by Nanaa on Tue Jul 06, 2021 5:14 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
killing time
Programmer

Post by killing time »

Looks pretty nice!

Please start a thread in the "Assets & Artwork" section: viewforum.php?f=36. You will be asked for the license under which you provide the assets, and the name to be credited under. The license is usually some kind of Creative Commons one (without NC); I'll leave it to the experts to say which variant is most preferred.
Nanaa
Dretch

Post by Nanaa »

killing time wrote: Please start a thread in the "Assets & Artwork" section: viewforum.php?f=36.
I'm not authorized on that section. You meant Community Development?
Nanaa
Dretch

Post by Nanaa »

I decided to make the tech trees as well:
Gireen
Graphic Designer
Clan: [DoH]

Post by Gireen »

There is an new icon set for buildings based on the shape, that wasn't added to the game jet.
Just to prevent duplicate work. But your more simplistic style is also interesting, if you want to create a complete iconset to have all in a similare style we could add them as optional set.

The grenades had no new icons so far so this is a good addition, but it could be maybe a bit more detailed.

If you make other icons, Marauder, Tyrant and Dragoon are also up to get a replacement based on there new models heads.

fear ma engrish :granger:

illwieckz
Project Head

Post by illwieckz »

Yes we can see new icons when joining @Gireen's “Experimental” server, I greatly encourage you @Nanaa to look at them, maybe you would even have some remarks. There are strong needs to redo some images indeed, the actual ones are basically placeholders. You may also have noticed that our emoticons (seen in this forum, but also in game) are highly outdated. It would be awesome if both of you would be able to team-up to provide Unvanquished the best icons and emoticons! :bsuit:

This comment is licensed under cc ​​by 4 and antecedent.

Nanaa
Dretch

Post by Nanaa »

Gireen wrote:There is an new icon set for buildings based on the shape, that wasn't added to the game jet.
Just to prevent duplicate work. But your more simplistic style is also interesting, if you want to create a complete iconset to have all in a similare style we could add them as optional set.

The grenades had no new icons so far so this is a good addition, but it could be maybe a bit more detailed.

If you make other icons, Marauder, Tyrant and Dragoon are also up to get a replacement based on there new models heads.
Oh, that's cool too. My simple building icons wouldn't work that well in build menus anyways. However, I'm concerned on how easily can you differentiate certain buildings by shape. Booster and hive are very similar blobs. Same with acid tube and leech. Perhaps we could collaborate and combine little icons (like web, bees, skull and health cross) to the icons based on building shape.

I can consider making new alien icons. I would need reference images from front though. Also mantis/basilisk icon for score board should be remade. Currently the bigger dretch icon looks like an upgrade to the smaller basilisk icon.

For grenade I could add a handle/socket. I went with abstract since I tried to mimic the original abstract weapon icons.
illwieckz
Project Head

Post by illwieckz »

Nanaa wrote:
killing time wrote: Please start a thread in the "Assets & Artwork" section: viewforum.php?f=36.
I'm not authorized on that section. You meant Community Development?
I have edited some forums permission it looks like this forum was not seen by anyone, do you now see that “Assets & Artwork” section?

If yes just say yes and do not create a new thread, I'll move this one instead. :smile:

This comment is licensed under cc ​​by 4 and antecedent.