Over-detailed icons?

Post all of your progress here about official assets, and receive feedback from our team.
Nanaa
Dretch

Re: Over-detailed icons?

Post by Nanaa »

illwieckz wrote:
Nanaa wrote:These works are licensed under a CC-BY-SA 3.0 license, attribute it to Nanaa.
Can it be possible to use CC By SA 4.0 instead? FSF and OSI just don't care about reviewing CC By SA 3.0, so they are not listed in approved licenses list, so people mistakenly think that a license not listed is not a free license (while it only means it's not reviewed). CC By SA 4.0 is not listed by OSI anyway, but is listed by FSF.

Edit: Maybe CC By 4.0 would be better for logos and stuff like that, as that would help to make such visuals end in third-party publications promoting the game for example.
Sure! I just picked the recommended one from here: viewtopic.php?f=36&t=1243
You may wanna update that.

I'll edit my posts.
Nanaa
Dretch

Post by Nanaa »

I went to check Quake Live icons for inspiration and realized that medkit is almost a direct copy xD
Also shotgun is pretty much the same.
illwieckz
Project Head

Post by illwieckz »

Nanaa wrote:Sure! I just picked the recommended one from here: viewtopic.php?f=36&t=1243
You may wanna update that.
Ah yes, we have to update that! :grin:

This comment is licensed under cc ​​by 4 and antecedent.

afontain
Programmer

Post by afontain »

Woa, I overlooked this thread at first. This looks great! :bsuit:

engi++
Nanaa
Dretch

Post by Nanaa »

freem wrote:I'm thinking (I know, it's late), if new icons are made (or if someone is willing to edit them), would it be possible to give them an outline?
That is, if the icon is 100% white, put a small line around the white content, preferably with a high contrast (black?). This would result in icons being visible even when the background is white and would thus (help to) fix an old problem.
Yes, I was thinking this too.
Nanaa
Dretch

Post by Nanaa »

I stumbled upon this icon pack. It's interesting because the designer was clearly inspired by Tremulous. There is the exact outline of Tesla Generator! There is also painsaw, rifle bullet, shotgun bullet, chain gun, medkit syringe, blaster, turret, battery pack, telenode...

https://opengameart.org/content/95-game-icons
Licenses: CC-BY 3.0 & CC-BY-SA 3.0

Perhaps there is something that could be used. But the question is which ones? And do we want icons that are just slightly different than Tremulous ones?

I started sketch my own more unique designs. They are not easy to come up with though. I'll try to post some suggestions soon...
Nanaa
Dretch

Post by Nanaa »

Okay, found out it has group names:
ImageImageImageImageImage

Any idea what the history behind this is? Did sbed work for some Tremulous remake?

EDIT:
LOL, https://opengameart.org/comment/23815#comment-23815
Apparently that guy WAS part of Unvanquished dev team. What happened guys? :grin:
illwieckz
Project Head

Post by illwieckz »

Eh… I wonder what is his nick name here, I may have missed it but I see no sbed username registered and I never seen a sbed in chat. He was probably using another name.

This comment is licensed under cc ​​by 4 and antecedent.

Nanaa
Dretch

Post by Nanaa »

illwieckz wrote:Eh… I wonder what is his nick name here, I may have missed it but I see no sbed username registered and I never seen a sbed in chat. He was probably using another name.
Yeah, most likely under different alias. His other work include HUD elements, custom font and kill feed icons: https://opengameart.org/users/sbed

Those could have been done for a custom Tremulous HUD too. But can't find anyone named sbed in Tremulous community either.

EDIT: Oh, an archived capture tells that these were in fact made for Unvanquished.
https://web.archive.org/web/20131009004 ... obituaries
Obituary icons for Unvanquished

Attribution Instructions:
Attribute to the game Unvanquished and include a link to unvanquished.net
https://web.archive.org/web/20131009065 ... d-elements
A few crosshairs and icons for Unvanquished

Attribution Instructions:
Attribute to the game Unvanquished and include a link to unvanquished.net
Nanaa
Dretch

Post by Nanaa »