Over-detailed icons?

Post all of your progress here about official assets, and receive feedback from our team.
Nanaa
Dretch

Re: Over-detailed icons?

Post by Nanaa »

illwieckz wrote:
Nanaa wrote:
killing time wrote: Please start a thread in the "Assets & Artwork" section: viewforum.php?f=36.
I'm not authorized on that section. You meant Community Development?
I have edited some forums permission it looks like this forum was not seen by anyone, do you now see that “Assets & Artwork” section?

If yes just say yes and do not create a new thread, I'll move this one instead. :smile:
It is accessible now when you have link but it's not listed on Board Index. Sure, you can move this thread.
cu-kai
Web Crew
Clan: CU

Post by cu-kai »

@Nanaa all sorted, you should see this on the homepage now. Thread moved.

Web Raccoon

Gireen
Graphic Designer
Clan: [DoH]

Post by Gireen »

Ha i had to take a look again to remember what they look like.
Hive and spiker have no new icon jet.

But as you said its best to have small icons added to there shape. A cross for the booster and bees for the hive similar to the human meditation.

Actually all alien classes except the dretch need new icons.
All Human weapons and items are also up for replacement so its free to change the style of this icons.

I think only a web for the trapper is not enough, but the icon could be used for humans and displayed when they are trapped.

I guess this are vector graphics, its desired to have all icons as svg in the hope that we some day make a iconfont.

fear ma engrish :granger:

Nanaa
Dretch

Post by Nanaa »

@Gireen Looks good!
Also miners could benefit from some pickaxe/energy/lightning icon (or whatever they are gathering in the lore?). Armory could have bullet and armor icons so that armory and drill aren't just a big and a small cylinder anymore. Trapper could have web icon added to the empty space.

Yes, I'm using vectors.
Nanaa
Dretch

Post by Nanaa »

Gireen wrote: All Human weapons and items are also up for replacement so its free to change the style of this icons.
Hmm, I wouldn't get rid of original weapon icons (at least not all of them). Imo, they are very iconic and work excellently on score board, left side inventory and as ammo icons. However, in armory they could be coupled with larger weapon model icons.
illwieckz
Project Head

Post by illwieckz »

Also while looking at @Gireen's screenshots I remember the number circles need another circle image with a border that looks good when tiny like that.

This comment is licensed under cc ​​by 4 and antecedent.

Nanaa
Dretch

Post by Nanaa »

Added more details to the nades. Are these good?

EDIT:
In any case, I'll release them as SVGs while I'm at it and since I'm happy how they turned out:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cWUVsq ... sp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1aLByvv ... sp=sharing
These works are licensed under a CC-BY-SA 4.0 license, attribute it to Nanaa.
Last edited by Nanaa on Fri Jul 09, 2021 3:04 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Gireen
Graphic Designer
Clan: [DoH]

Post by Gireen »

Yes that looks great now :thumbup:
Our grenades have a button but with this icon everyone knows directly what it is.
Nanaa wrote: Also miners could benefit from some pickaxe/energy/lightning icon (or whatever they are gathering in the lore?). Armory could have bullet and armor icons so that armory and drill aren't just a big and a small cylinder anymore. Trapper could have web icon added to the empty space.
For buildings im not sure about adding to many small details to distinguish them. If the shape is recognizable and differentiates enough from others that's already good. In the future we can then replace the hexagon beacons with the actual icons.
Its not necessary to have every function represented in the icons but add such icons to the circlemenus that miners have a small pickax, a house for main building and shields for defense buildings.
Nanaa wrote: Hmm, I wouldn't get rid of original weapon icons (at least not all of them). Imo, they are very iconic and work excellently on score board, left side inventory and as ammo icons. However, in armory they could be coupled with larger weapon model icons.
Yes thats also a reason why i didn't touch them so far. :grin:
They are still from tremulous, and all assets from there should be replaced at some day. So we might need at least a heavy influenced reinterpretation of them. :bsuit:
In the armory we could just display rendered images of weapons

fear ma engrish :granger:

Nanaa
Dretch

Post by Nanaa »

Cool! :smile:
Gireen wrote: For buildings im not sure about adding to many small details to distinguish them. If the shape is recognizable and differentiates enough from others that's already good. In the future we can then replace the hexagon beacons with the actual icons.
Its not necessary to have every function represented in the icons but add such icons to the circlemenus that miners have a small pickax, a house for main building and shields for defense buildings.
Yeah, I agree now. I tested adding small icons but it doesn't look good in the end:

Here's my pickaxe proposal though:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QQ79fG ... sp=sharing
This work is licensed under a CC-BY-SA 4.0 license, attribute it to Nanaa.

Gireen wrote: They are still from tremulous, and all assets from there should be replaced at some day. So we might need at least a heavy influenced reinterpretation of them.
Oh, I see. Well, I heard lasgun would be changed to a beam weapon so that one could have a totally different icon even.
Last edited by Nanaa on Fri Jul 09, 2021 3:05 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
illwieckz
Project Head

Post by illwieckz »

Nanaa wrote:These works are licensed under a CC-BY-SA 3.0 license, attribute it to Nanaa.
Can it be possible to use CC By SA 4.0 instead? FSF and OSI just don't care about reviewing CC By SA 3.0, so they are not listed in approved licenses list, so people mistakenly think that a license not listed is not a free license (while it only means it's not reviewed). CC By SA 4.0 is not listed by OSI anyway, but is listed by FSF.

Edit: Maybe CC By 4.0 would be better for logos and stuff like that, as that would help to make such visuals end in third-party publications promoting the game for example.

This comment is licensed under cc ​​by 4 and antecedent.