Male Soldier

Models and textures for players, weapons and buildables.
Viech
Project Head

Male Soldier

Post by Viech »

Have a look at the current male model next to the female one:

As you can see, the male has a lower geometry resolution and, in comparison, unclean looking textures. We want to bring the male to the quality standards of the female.

The male is supposed to wear the same unisex armor pieces as the female (which were originally modeled on top of a male body anyway). Those don't need to be redone, you can simply create a model that fits into them. Here's the female (in an earlier iteration of her modeling) wearing some armor (which has also had some texture corrections applied to it by now):

You will receive the armor pieces together with the female model as a reference when you assign to this. If you feel like you need to change the existing armor (e.g. in the torso area) ask about it beforehand so that we can figure out whether this would interfer with any plans of reusing the armor pieces on a technical level, too. (I don't know if this is planned or possible, but it would be nice if we had the option.) Polygon count and texture resolution(s) should also be in line with the assets you'll receive.

Below the armor, the male should also wear the same clothes as the female, just differently tailored towards his anatomical needs.

When it comes to the face of the human, you have all artistic freedom (unfortunately there is no concept to follow either), with a few things to keep in mind:

• He is a clone soldier. Therefor, the face shouldn't have any unique traits such as scars.

• The hair should be short, so that it fits beneath a helmet (which is another armor piece).

• For more variety, it would be nice if he didn't look like the twin of his female counterpart (→ some deviaton from blue eyes, blonde hair and fair skin).

• He should look appropriately tough and focused. Like he's going to fight a bunch of aliens soon!

In addition to this, you might also want to read the female's concept and model threads to get some more ideas.

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

RXMT
Modeler

Re: Male Soldier

Post by RXMT »

I would be interested in modelling this character however I have a few question:

So if I understand correctly the man and the woman will end up having (almost) the same height and build?

Is the inside of the mouth important? (teeth ,tongue, etc.)

How far can I go with the concept? I know it needs to be as identical as possible, but can I try to add more details keeping the main concept in mind?

Should the hair be done with transparency (planes with transparent textures applied) for a more realistic look?

Also, I'm leaving for christmas vacations for one week in 2-3 days, but I'll be able to focus more on it after that ^^

Thanks

-R.

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

RXMT wrote:

So if I understand correctly the man and the woman will end up having (almost) the same height and build?

Good point. I guess as long as the armor pieces use the same texture, we still get the resource advantage, even if the individual armor pieces are differently positioned/scaled/rotated. I'll ask other developers to give their opinion on this and report back when I know more. For now I'd say that every change to the armor pieces that doesn't invalidate the UV mapping should be fine as it allows us to load one armor texture for both sexes.

RXMT wrote:

Is the inside of the mouth important? (teeth ,tongue, etc.)

We do have some spoken phrases (voice messages sent to every teammate such as "Defend!") but I don't think we plan to animate the mouth for them. The current male does have teeth but you can only see them during his taunt animation, which would need to be redone either way and doesn't need to involve the mouth in the future. I'd say if the female has a mouth cavity, add one with similiar level of detail, otherwise save your texture space. :smile:

RXMT wrote:

How far can I go with the concept? I know it needs to be as identical as possible, but can I try to add more details keeping the main concept in mind?

The gloves should be the same, since we plan to use only one pair of hands in first person perspective. Apart from that you can make variations to the clothes, but the material should look the same (color palette, specularity). It should look like two functional suits made out of the same materials by the same manufacturer, but they can be tailored differently and show unique details.

RXMT wrote:

Should the hair be done with transparency (planes with transparent textures applied) for a more realistic look?

If you like, sure!

If you have any questions to the author of the female model, ask them here or send them to kharnov and we can redirect them for you.

kharnov, can you send RXMT the sources of the female?

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

kharnov
Granger
Clan: GT

Post by kharnov »

Here's the male OBJ. I think that's all you'd need, since the armor mesh and UV mapping is identical to the female soldier.

http://janvanderweg.com/tremstuff/human/unv_human.obj

http://janvanderweg.com/tremstuff/human ... armour.obj

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

We need the female sources as a reference for texture (color palette, specularity, size of hexagon pattern, …), poly count and its distribution, texture space usage, whether she has a mouth cavity (read my post above) and so on. I'd prefer if the old male version wasn't referenced at all, after all we want to redo it mostly because the female model is so much better. Therefor, please send RXMT the female model and texture together with her armor (in case Casey improved the pieces in any way, even if it's just barely visible fixes).

kharnov wrote:

the [male] armor mesh and UV mapping is identical to the female soldier.

Are you sure Casey didn't edit anything at all about the shape? I'm just asking out of curiosity because that means that the proportions of the armor will likely fit a male body.

kharnov
Granger

Post by kharnov »

Okay, I'll email the female model OBJ+textures to RXMT tomorrow.

kharnov
Granger

Post by kharnov »

Viech wrote:

Are you sure Casey didn't edit anything at all about the shape? I'm just asking out of curiosity because that means that the proportions of the armor will likely fit a male body.

I'm pretty sure. You can check the two meshes to make sure. Either way, the same textures are used for the male and the female soldiers.

kharnov
Granger

Post by kharnov »

Okay, emailed you!

kharnov
Granger

Post by kharnov »

Hey RXMT, any updates?